Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Dana Chapter 11

“It’s two in the morning.” Dana was talking to Jason on the phone, very unhappy to be awakened after only just falling asleep.

“Yeah, I know, but you know I don’t sleep when I’m not working.”

“So what’s it like being an uncle?”

“My brothers have kids.”

“I meant to someone within driving distance.”

“Well, Jackson no longer wants to be called Jackson; he wants to be called Moses—his middle name.”

“No way.”

“Yeah. He doesn’t want to be known by the name his fake father gave him.”

“Sounds like fun. What does Jamie, Jr. think about that?”

“He’s calling him all sorts of things. He’s a trip, that one. Gets into all sorts of trouble, just like his dad, apparently. They’re forever shouting at each other about something, even if they’re in each other's arms. So how you doing with Adrian?”

“Okay.”

“And how’s it feel to be a whole quarter?”

“Twenty-five feels like twenty-four.”

“Really?”

“Well, I have to admit that him waking up this week on my birthday was something special. I don’t know if anything can top that.”

“So you’re not gonna tell me about the birthday gift?”

“Christ, who told you?”

“My mom. She said Manny’s mom talked her ear off about how Dana made the next step and all he could do was pop out bastard children. She’s really bent out of shape how he’s her only child not married and has the most children.”

“She just wants to have pictures of him to show off in her house, that’s all. I’m surprised she hasn’t asked them to just dress up so she can have mock wedding pictures of them.”

“You’re funny. So he’s settling in, then?”

“Yup. It only took me two days to break his resistance. And you thought I couldn’t do it. That’s what happens with you guys that have too much structure. You doubt the unexpected.”

“Don’t get on that. Davon gave me the speech on our characters when you were a drunk. I really don’t need to hear you tell me how I got issues with the unexpected.”

“Well, you can’t plan everything. You have to allow that life can throw you a curveball.”

“Yeah, yeah. I couldn’t just beat the drunk out of you and blah blah. I still say that it would’ve worked.”

“If you have to tell yourself that.”

“Enough about my flaws. Just let me think I don’t have any.”

“Now what kind of friend would I be if I did that?”

“A best friend.”

“In that case, you’re deeply flawed.”

“I hate you.”

“Yeah, yeah. I’m thinking it’s about time I started taking this relationship to the next level and finally stopping these side things. I’m terrified of doing it, but I think it’s time.”

“Great. Now we only have to wait a few months before you take action on your decision.”

“Why you always gotta be like that?”

“I just don’t—”

“You don’t what? For someone who plans everything down to the last line, I don’t know why you get all crazy about me taking a while.”

“You’re just procrastinating. That’s different.”

“You know what? Fuck you. Why you got to be an inconsiderate moron? Gotta make me feel bad cause in my personal life I’m not as fearless or confident as you. Like that makes me weak or less of a person or something. Not everyone can be so sure of themselves all the time. We can’t all be fuckin' Jasons. We can’t all be perfect. You know what? I’m tired of you always putting me down and shit.” Dana hung up. He was so frustrated that he just couldn’t stand to talk to him anymore, so much so he almost woke up Adrian, throwing the phone against the wall. He pieced it back together, got out of bed, went to the kitchen, and poured himself a juice. Before he could even take his first sip, Jason called him back. Dana, of course, didn’t answer for about ten minutes or so, but he knew Jason would drive over there if he didn’t pick up the phone. And he really wasn’t feeling that right now.

“Yes?”

“I’m sorry. Davon’s been telling me I need to work on my insensitivity issues—and definitely toward you. But it’s not entirely my fault. You never really tell me how it makes you feel. You just argue with me. And we do that all the time, so I didn’t think nothing of it. You really think I’m perfect?”

“No one’s perfect, but you’re as close as you can be, even if you’re an insensitive asshole sometimes.”

“Come on. You gotta take off loads of points for that one. That’s a pretty serious imperfection.”

Dana smiled. “All right, you’re deeply flawed.”

“So does that mean you accept my apology?”

“I guess I can be the better man.”

“Besides, I’ve been meaning to apologise specifically about this incident. I’ve never had what happened to you happen to me, so I can’t fully understand. Maybe not even partially so for me to presume how you should handle it and more importantly how you should react and feel towards it was just wrong on my part. As much as this would be delving into uncharted territory for me, I want you to really explain to me what you feel. I can’t learn how to be sensitive if I don’t understand why I should be.”

“See? That’s what I mean. You know you have a problem, and you just tackle it. I wish I could be that way sometimes.”

“Then how would we help each other if we were the same?”

“Okay, but you better have some patience if you don’t immediately understand where I am coming from. Human emotions can’t be microwaved, and understanding them is even harder than acting them out.”

“I know. I’m already mentally preparing myself, but I doubt it will work. But you’ve got loads of patience, and you’re bigger than me, so I’m sure you can force me to pay attention.”

“Good night,” Dana said with a chuckle. “I’ve got to get back in the room.”

“All right. I’ll let you leave.”

“Bye, and try to go sleep. I know you’re used to working at this hour, but try anyway.”

“I’ll do my best.”

Dana walked back into the room to find Adrian already awake. He had to have been gone for a while if Adrian had woken up.

“You okay?” Dana asked as he got into the bed.

“My chest hurts a little. I’ll be fine. I’m all deformed now, though.”

“Don’t say that.”

“I am. The moment I take my shirt off people are going to look at me like I’m ‘The Man With No Face.’ My body is ugly. And all that liquid food made me look all frail.”

“Lil’man—”

“It’s true. You probably don’t even find me remotely sexy anymore. How could you? I was bad before, but now? I’m never taking my shirt off again, and I’m burying my gym membership.”

“Adrian—”

“Let’s just go back to sleep. Let’s not talk about the time bomb. Who knows? I might just die tonight. Then you won’t have to worry about my chest hurting.”

***

“Yes, dad.” Dana’s dad had just called him, a good ten minutes before he would usually get up. And he was in one of his “I don’t feel like speaking in English” moods. Dana was too tired to protest. It wasn’t like he couldn’t speak Italian, after all; however, his dad wouldn’t keep talking if he answered in English. So he gave in and tried to focus as he made himself some coffee.

“Married? What are you talking about?”

“Margarite told me that just last night Adrian asked you to marry him.”

“Dad, you know how she exaggerates. He just got me a chain with his name on it is all. You know Adrian isn’t the marrying type.”

“Oh. See, I was about to get very upset that you didn’t call me and your mother so we could start planning.”

“Well, calm down, ‘cause there will be no wedding.”

“Okay. So how’s things?”

“I thought they were okay, but Adrian’s having body issues. And I’m not talking like how I have minor weight issues. He really hates his body now. So his chest indent’s a bit deeper and the scar’s about an inch longer. It’s still basically the same as before. His body still has shape. He was so happy after shopping. I think I need to send him out on another shopping spree.”

“What else could he buy?”

“I’m pretty sure he’s quite skilled after what he accomplished yesterday.”

“So I hear. So about that situation of yours? My offer still stands.”

“This family is a piece of work. Just yesterday, Manny and Jason offered the same thing. I’m going to find a legal way out of this. I can’t just keep making people disappear,” Dana said, chuckling.

“Hey, don’t knock it. Crime pays.”

“Bye, dad.”

***

True to his word, Adrian had indeed done nothing but sloth around the house. It was the middle of April and Adrian was just getting into the house.

“Where the hell did you go? I’ve been calling you all morning.” Dana inquired. It was only eleven, so it was still morning. No need for Dana to get all worked up. Adrian was much on the same page.

“Damn. Don’t sound all worried or anything. You’d think I was gone for a whole week or something.”

“Well?”

“The gym.”

Dana smiled accusingly. “The gym?”

“Yeah. Summer is around the bend. I can’t be all pudgy walking down the beach next to something like you.” This news made Dana quite happy. He was wondering if Adrian was ever going to come out of this self-body-hate phase he was in. And just like that, it was history.

“You won’t believe what happened to me at the gym. Cindy, the one who does the advanced spin classes, asked me if I was single.” Dana rolled his eyes at the prospect of Adrian sleeping with girls. “She also asked why I hadn’t shown up and how the surgery was taking. But then she asked if I was single and gave me her number. Well, almost.”

“What happened?”

The two of them were sitting around the fireplace now.

“She saw the chain and wanted to know who D.S. was. I just told her I was taken and she knows where to find me when she needs a quick fix, or a not-so-quick fix. Then Marcus—”

“White Marcus?”

“Nah. Asian. Big guy.”

“Oh, him,” Dana said, extremely unimpressed.

“Well, I’m changing before my workout, and he comes in the room. I didn’t think nothing of it; people always try to steal a peek in the changing room. I go out, do my routine, and there he is again when I’m done and back in the changing room. What are the odds of him being done when I’m done? Well, he asks me how I got the scar. I tell him, thinking he thinks it looks weird. Then he says he likes the scar.. Finds it sexy. Then he hands me his number and asks if we could hook up later in the week.

“So I tell him I’m taken and I can’t date other people. So if we do something, it’ll be purely animal. He doesn’t believe I’m not dating. Then he sees the chain. I mean, I’m only in my boxers, and he’s just noticing your name on me. So we go in the shower, and he’s all up in the grill trying to figure out who it is—girl, guy, and all that. Then the rest of the guys start to tune in and get interested.

“So here I was, thinking I’m all unattractive, and just being gone for what, five months? And guys be trying to make me theirs and getting all jealous that I’m only up for the occasional one-nighter. In any event, I’m finally back out by the lockers and drying off, when he finally directly asks. No roundabout questions trying to just figure it out on his own, and loud enough for everyone to hear. So I answered. I told them that I’ve been living with Dana Saparo for just over two months.”

“You said my last name?”

“Yeah. They tried to guess at the ‘N’ but the conversation was moving too fast. So one of them wants to know if it’s just coincidence that you have the same name. They were all thunderstruck when I said it was indeed you. I had to then use your real first name, though. I swear everyone thinks you’re straight and wants to secretly fuck you.”

“I can’t help the fact that no one’s ever asked. I’ve never lied about it.”

“That was when one of the more fem guys said you had a fucking huge dick. I kid you not. Apparently, he’s peeped you in the shower before. A lot of people have. They say you’re shower shy and that’s why you always go to the gym when you know it’s practically empty and all that.”

“Well, it’s annoying. I go in the shower, or when I’m changing, and it’s like no one sees Dana. It’s like the only thing in the room is ‘It.’. And these are the straight boys too. I just get all moody, so I try to avoid having too many people around me.” Adrian could only laugh at that. It was just too funny.

“D.S., you just gotta let go already. People are going to stare. You can’t let them dictate your exercise routine.”

“I guess you are right. Still, when I go back, the gym is going to be buzzing with talk about us. I can’t go back there alone.”

“I just love how you embarrass so easy about some things.”

“You would find this entertaining. Before you, I didn’t even go out. Now I’m out at least once a week, even if I do hug the wall.”

“Much to my disappointment. I’m a needy kind of guy and you’re not touchy. I’ve never been with that type of man before. Even when we’re alone. At least you aren’t shy on the kisses.”

“You say that like it’s a bad thing.”

“It’s okay. You don’t have to hold me; I’ll just go out on that date with Marcus.”

“Marcus? You wouldn’t do Marcus.”

“Why not? Five million pounds of solid muscle.”

“It’s where he’s lacking pounds that’s the problem. Seriously lacking.”

‘Who said anything about him fucking me?”

“You can’t be serious.”

“I am perfectly capable of fucking someone twice my size. Besides, I’m like five eightish. I’m short but I’m not that short. Most guys are around five ten, eleven. That’s only around four inches more than me. You should remember that.”

“Point taken. One day I might consider letting you do that.”

“I’m starting back at work tomorrow.”

“Not doing summer classes?”

“Nah. I only got one semester left anyway, so I’ll just do fall. Besides, I got to work, even if I can’t spend my money.”

“Understandable. I thought about what you said the last time I gave you cash.”

“Oh shit. I really didn’t mean for it to come out that way. And at the bar, no less.”

“What was it? ‘I feel like I’m dating some big-time drug lord every time you give me cash, or even your little house boy. That’s probably what people think I am.’”

“Don’t repeat the rest of the speech.”

“The guys at Liza’s still won’t let that one go. And I know you don’t always want to burn the plastic—leaving it in the house so you won’t spend money.”

“I’m dangerous with unlimited expenses.”

Dana and Adrian laughed at that comment. “In any case, I got you a card.”

“Huh?”

“Yup, so now you have access to my my money legitimately.”

“Dana—”

“You promised me you wouldn’t do this again.”

“I know, but access to all your money. Are you sure you want to trust me with that? Hell, I’m not even sure I would trust me.”

“I’m sure even a shopaholic like you couldn’t milk me dry before you die. Besides, my money is your money.”

“I’m feeling a little overwhelmed.”

“Don’t be. And stop holding the card like it’s a billion dollar diamond. It’s just plastic.”

“Just plastic. This is better than plastic. This is that new pair of shoes I didn’t buy yesterday. This is a new Wii game. This is new DVDs and Blu-Ray. I can feel the power. I’m gonna be unstoppable with this. You have to take it back.” Dana was in hysterics, but he refused to take back the card.

“Maybe if you know how much money I’m working with you’ll stop stressin' over spending my money.”

“So what about what you make?”

“That’s what I live off. I make more than enough to survive. I usually split what I have left between the two accounts.”

“You mean you’re loaded, and you still manage to not spend your money.”

“You aren’t the only one who can budget.”

“Yeah, but I don’t think it’s right for me to have that kind of access to your funds.”

“I don’t care what you think. How do I let you keep sucking me back into this conversation?”

“When you’re as stubborn as me, you got to be crafty about it. You’re proving to be my most difficult subject, though.”

“And that means?”

“I don’t think I’ll ever win, but that doesn’t mean I’ll stop trying.”

“I bet. Well, I’m off to work. You gonna stay here?”

“No, I’ll be with Marcus and Raul.”

“Okay. I’ll come get you then.”

***

“And you haven’t been to the bank yet?” Raul couldn’t understand what was keeping Adrian from checking the balance.

“No.”

“Why not?”

“I don’t need any money. I’d just be going to see how much he has.”

“So? Take out ten and buy some chips. Hell, buy us a fucking pizza.”

Adrian couldn’t deny that the suspense had been killing him. He left, and in about thirty minutes, near 4:30, he was back.

“Well, what is it?” Raul said as Adrian threw himself on the couch.

“Seven fifty-five.”

“Thousand?” Marcus nudged Raul for his lack of insight. Seven hundred fifty-five thousand is hardly rich-boy status.

“Seven hundred fifty-five million, three hundred twenty-nine thousand, one hundred forty-seven dollars and sixty-three cents. Plus an extra three hundred thousand that’s just attached to the checking account. Not to mention the money in investments that I don’t know about.

“Whoa.”

“’Whoa’ is right, Marco,” Adrian responded.

“How do you have that much money? If I spent one thousand a day it would take me three years just to spend a mil,” Raul said.

“Crime pays. You see all those ‘richest people in the world’ things and so on, but no one ever does criminals. But they’ve got to be among the billionaires of the world, even if it’s illegal.”

“Hmm, I guess you’re right, Marco. My dad wants a Picasso. I wonder how much that would go for.”

“Raul—” Adrian responded.

“Hey, you’ve got connections now. Like it or not, you’re now part of one of the top organised crime rings in the world. On the upside, they own shares in loads of legit businesses and the vineyard is completely legit.”

“Vineyard?”

“They make the best wine in Italy. You’re an alcoholic. You should know this.”

“Okay. But what do I know? I just save and spend. Dana knows how to actually make money grow.”

So time moved on and when Dana finally arrived, everyone was in hysterics.

“So what’s going on?”

“Nothing, Mr. Nikola Saparo,” Marcus replied.

“God. There’s a reason I dropped the name, Adrian.”

“Come on. The name stories are funny,” Adrian said in his defence. And it wasn’t like they didn’t already know.

“If you say so. Come on. Let’s get out of here.”

“So?” Dana started to speak as he closed the gate behind him. “You check my balance?”

“I did. I made it almost five hours before I just couldn’t take it anymore.”

“I’m surprised you made it five minutes. Now that your curiosity is filled, maybe you’ll give up trying not to spend my money.”

“I always feel so short next to you. I’m like at your shoulders.”

“I like it that way. Makes it easier to throw you around,” Dana said as he picked him up and threw him on the bed. Before long, Adrian had him strapped to the bed, giving him a little torture by biting slowly all over his body. The pain was a turn-on for Dana, and much more fun for Adrian when Dana couldn’t move when bit. He then straddled him and eased his way down slowly. This was one piece of equipment he was never going to just jump on. After taking Dana all in, he stayed still for a while so his body could relax.

“Damn, don’t move.”

“Why not?”

“You’re going to make me cum.”

Adrian didn’t believe a single word of it and began to move. Sure enough, ten seconds later Dana was exploding inside him. Adrian was a little taken back.

“You never?”

“I know. But it’s not that often I get all of me inside someone, so sometimes—especially when it’s been a while— it’s a little much.”

“Ah. So that’s what it is. Guess those other guys that you do can’t handle it.”

“No. So it’s been a long while.”

“Understandable. So you more relaxed now?”

“Why?”

“'Cause I’m horny and I want to get mine.”

“You’re one needy little bastard.”

“Me? A bastard?” Adrian asked in mock defiance as he untied Dana’s legs, pushed them back, and without thinking started to toss Dana’s salad. He heard sounds he didn’t think Dana was capable of. Grunts and moans were now more like moans and sighs. It just turned Adrian on even more. Adrian then kissed his way up Dana’s chest and mouth. He hesitated at first, 'cause some people are touchy about kissing their own ass. Dana didn’t seem to be putting up a fight. Not that he could; his arms were still tied to the bed.

“Are you going to kiss me or not?” No need for Dana to ask twice. After the kiss, Dana stared into Adrian’s eyes and smiled.

“What?”

“No one's ever done that before.”

“Really? So that’s why you’ve been so touchy about it.”

“Nah, that’s not the reason.”

Adrian knew what that meant, and he wasn’t going to press the issue. He just untied Dana so he could get what he wanted. After the same agonising torture by biting, Dana realised he was out of condoms. He had just gotten tested. And he knew Adrian was fine having not had any sex because of his body issues, so in raw he went. Dana pushed Adrian’s legs back and eased himself in. Then with excruciatingly slow, long strokes, he worked in and out of the tunnel of pleasure. He made sure that Adrian felt all of him as he worked a slow grind on him.

Dana pushed Adrian’s legs back even further, got up onto his knees, and let Adrian’s feet hang over his shoulders. Adrian moaned with pleasure as their bodies moved to the smooth motion of their music of love. After a few more moments in this position, Dana let Adrian’s legs loose, and Adrian wrapped them around his waist. Dana let his legs stretch out behind him, holding Adrian from under his back in one hand and supporting himself with the other hand while holding the backboard. Then he pulled out just far enough so that he could turn Adrian over and got into the pushup position, and Adrian raised himself up a little to better position himself, which only made Dana pull him up onto all fours and dive right into that hole doggy-style.

Dana was not satisfied to stop at this position, so he came out and pulled Adrian to the edge of the bed so he could fuck him standing up. He lightly pushed down on Adrian’s back to get him into the perfect position, the advantages of being tall, then started to glide back in.

“Wait,” Adrian said, and Dana stopped to let Adrian readjust. When he was comfortable, Dana started back in again. Soon Adrian came up off his hands so that he was only on his knees, and Dana wrapped his arms around him while nibbling on the back of his neck. Adrian moved his hands down and intertwined them with Dana’s as they joined in a passionate embrace, the strength from Dana being the only thing keeping him from falling back on the bed. Dana got back onto the bed and lay on his back. Adrian got on top and took him in, riding him while Dana stroked him. Soon the combination of Dana inside him and holding his dick in his hand was bringing Adrian close.

“You about to cum?” Dana asked, and Adrian just nodded in response. Moments later he was exploding in Dana’s hands. Dana could feel Adrian contracting around him as he came violently, almost unendingly. Finally, he seemed to be relaxing and opened up his eyes, still breathing quite heavily.

“Damn.”

“Yeah, you got my face,” Dana said and wiped it off with a towel he had handy. Adrian had gotten everywhere—the wall the bed the back board. It was crazy.

“So what about you?”

Dana just laughed, turned him over onto his back, let Adrian wrap his legs around him, and fucked him like a wild beast until he was spasming to a release that ended with him collapsing on top of Adrian.

“Damn. The way you cum it could be dangerous for me. I’m a little guy. You might collapse on me one day and suffocate me to death.”

“Shut up, Lil’ man.” Dana said with a smile, and kissed him. Then the two of them went to get a shower together. It was nearing nine after their long session of love, so it was a good time for them to settle down and get ready for bed. Once back in the bed, Adrian climbed on top of Dana and ran his fingers through his hair.

“Why so short?”

“Huh?” Dana responded not really understanding the question.

“Your hair.”

“I like it this way. Besides, it’s not short. When it’s wet, it comes at least halfway down my face.”

“Wow. Halfway. I’m impressed,” Adrian chuckled.

“You don’t like it short? I could grow it if you like. Well, maybe. I’m not making any promises.”

“Nah. I like it.” Adrian tried to move off of him.

“Stay.”

“You want me to sleep on top of you?”

“Yeah. I like feeling you on me.”

“You can sleep like this?”

“Yeah. Are you comfortable, though?”

“That depends. Do I have to include my ass?”

“Lil’ man.”

“I’m just fucking with you. I’m just fine.”

“Great.”

“But I’m not sleepy, so I’m still getting off you. Come on over to the fish tank. Let’s watch a movie.”

***

“What are you doing here?” Adrian asked as he saw Dana. Adrian was on a job site. First day back on the job and they had him out in the field, hardhat on and looking at prints. Even though he was planning on just designing shit, he had worked his way from the ground up during his years with this particular company. He figured hands-on building experience would help him better understand how to design buildings. These days he just followed around people who were in charge and assisted in getting their orders carried out.

“I thought we could actually have a lunch date. We’ve never just done lunch on our own, without our friends tagging along—except for the dinner when we visited my parents.”

“I don’t go lunch for a few minutes.”

“I can wait.”

A few minutes later, the two of them were at the nearest restaurant, eating lunch—their second actual food date after almost a year together.

“I’m gonna have to let you take the Jeep.”

“Nah, don’t bother. I’m taking a full-time here. I’ll be spending most of my time fighting for projects or designing homes for people. I got me an office now. There’s no view, but you can’t expect to be at the top of the totem pole immediately.”

“Not doing summer school?” Dana realised he’d asked this before but he let Adrian answer.

“I only got the one semester left. I’ll just do night classes this fall—well, mostly. I’ll squeeze in as many as I can during the day. I can’t take day classes since I’m working full time now—even if I can’t spend my money.”

“You’re funny.

“I’ll probably need the Jeep then, though.”

“So no time to be partying anymore? No more drunken Adrian?”

“Now that’s crazy talk. Besides, who else will you shoot people with? I have the sharpest arrows. Did I tell you that my sister has a serious crush on you?”

“Yes, you did.”

“Yeah. She just thinks you’re all that and a bag of chips.”

“You’re crazy. Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Would you have told your family who I was, were it not for the coma revealing it?”

“What? They knew who you were.”

“I mean, they didn’t know I was the Dana. Even after you found out who my parents were, you only let your sister know I was a part of organised crime. You didn’t even let your dad know.”

“I don’t know. Maybe not.”

“Guess you’d prefer if I was just a street hustler or if I just fell victim to society or something. But I was born into it, raised in it. Live for the family die for the family. If you want something taken care of—.”

“Taken care of?”

“Lil’ man.”

“You’ve had people killed?” Adrian asked, like that was even more drastic than actually doing the killing, which he’d already seen Dana do.

“Yeah,” Dana said with a shrug, like it was nothing serious.

“But that’s illegal. Witnesses being bought or disappearing. How do you wake up in the morning knowing another one of your guilty family has either bought their way out of something or just made all the evidence disappear? You probably have government officials on the payroll.”

“Adrian.”

“What? Would you kill for me?”

“I could arrange it if you asked. And I have already almost killed for you.”

“I wouldn’t. It’s just not fair that real criminals are walking free when every day someone is being unjustly prosecuted.”

“Oh, so what about celebrities? They buy their way out of shit all the time, but they keep playing sports and making movies. Do you weigh them on the same scale?”

“It’s—”

“Not the same. Or you just never looked at it that way. You just say that celebrities think they can get away with anything and leave it at that. Let someone like us do it and it’s all about how we always get off and we must be guilty. Let a famous actor go on trial for rape and it’s all about how they might not have done it and the person could just be after their money. For us, there’s no debate; we’re criminals so we definitely committed the crime. My cousin did six months for someone who was just after his money. If it wasn’t for her stylist coming forth and revealing the true story, the girl would’ve gotten away with it. And my cousin, he’d still be in jail.”

“Look, I—”

“What? We’re all human, from the drug dealer to the patriot saint. Why don’t you hate on the tobacco farmer? Lung cancer has taken way more people than my family could ever kill. And alcohol. But since you drink, I guess it doesn’t matter how many deaths there are by DUIs each year.”

“Dana—”

“No, it’s okay. You’ve clearly stated that I’m too much of a criminal for you. And to think it was you that made your friends look past my faults. What happened to that Adrian? The one I fell in love with. I haven’t changed at all. All I did was give you a last name. And you altered your opinion of me. I’m still the same Dana. Ever since you met my parents, you’ve been getting worse about wh oI am. I was hoping it was in my head.

“But you know what? With you being a sporadic drunk, a stubborn bastard and the craziest flirt that I know, I love you just as you are. You can’t just pick parts of me to love. You got to love me as a whole even with the parts you don’t like.”

“You can’t blame me for all this shit. You’re the one who tried to pretend you were someone you’re not. You’re the one who dropped your first name and made your last name just a letter. You were the one hiding yourself from me.”

“Maybe. But I always acted the same, talked the same, walked the same. I may not have said who I was, but I’ve never acted like anyone but myself. I only didn’t want people to treat me a certain way because of my name. Is that so bad? I’ve done everything I would have done as a Saparo, but I just did it as Dana. So you can’t pin this on me because I kept my last name on the low. All I did was drop the name and changed nothing else. Yes, I may have wanted to but as you or anyone can attest changing my habits and mannerisms didn’t quite work out.

“So, since clearly I’m not good enough for you, you can fuck right off and find a way to live without me. Or die. You won’t have me to cry because you don’t want to live anymore.” Dana got up and stormed out of the restaurant, knocking over a few patrons and a waiter. Adrian wasted no time deciding what he had to do.

***

“Dana there?” Jason looked over to Dana, who was moping on the couch, and lied. But Adrian knew he was there. He was just getting off from work. Dana had ignored all his calls.

“What did you say to him?”

“I basically told him that his family should burn in the everlasting hellfires of the underworld for all eternity.”

Jason stifled a laugh. It was something about the accent and the choice of wording that diminished the seriousness of the statement.

“Well, Dana isn’t usually the type of guy to sit back and cry, so this could be bad. And you insulted his family.”

“So how bad could this be?”

“He’s definitely killed people for disrespecting the family before.”

“Great.”

“He may have even cancelled the cards already.”

“What am I going to do without money? Okay, I can’t panic yet. Let me pull into the next station and buy something.”

As Adrian tried to buy a bag of tortilla chips, he did start to panic—so much so that he spaced out for a moment and didn’t even hear the counter girl ask him to sign.

“Sign here please.”

“Oh, sorry ‘bout that.”

“Looks like you might stand a chance after all,” Jason commented.

“Sure.”

“Are you driving?”

“Yeah. Why you ask”

“He left you the Jeep? Damn, even I’m impressed at that.”

“Guess I make him do a lot of things out of character.”

“Bye,” Jason said, and he walked over to Dana.

“Here. Adrian left his keys home. I forgot to give them to him.”

“Why don’t you just take them to him?”

“No. And you tell him if I even sense he’s in my presence I’ll kill him, and don’t you tell anyone what’s going on. I’ll tell my friends when I feel like it.”

“Dana—”

“I’m serious. I don’t want to see him or I’ll kill him, and if you try to fix this I’ll kill you too.”

Dana left the room just as Davon was coming in.

“What’s wrong with him?”

“Love. That’s what’s wrong with him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment