Monday, October 30, 2017

Revelations Chapter 10


Having planned to spend a lot more time with Danais, Leo got back to the inn on the mainland much earlier than intended. He had found out that Danais’ regular route included Licol Street, so he had purchased a room there on the way to the farm. Leo spent the time reading and was in the middle of a very tragic love scene when an annoying sound interrupted him.

“Well, you look amazingly happy,” Barton said as he took his seat at the table. One of the servers was already heading over with large mugs of ale, an extra-large one for Leo.

“I had a good day. Short but good. A walk through the market, lunch under the oak tree. Last night we swam. Well, I swam and held him up. He’s of the ‘since he’s Atorathian he’s much better than the rest’ mentality. And he doesn’t know his history.”

“Ah, not this again,” Barton said, feeling the need to gulp down his beer and call the server to fill up another glass. “Not everyone is a serious historian.” Barton gave an unnecessarily pleasant thank you to the serving girl. She gave him that beer for free and told him where she stayed. Leo gave him a glare and a smile.

“Okay. They are his people, so if he doesn’t know any history, he should know a little bit of his own,” Barton said. Leo was glad to see that Barton was faking strain in admitting the truth just to make him feel better that this time he was right.

“Exactly. But it isn’t just him. So I guess I shouldn’t be put out about it,” Leo said, thinking that two could play that game. Leo wasn’t beyond putting a sigh in that sentence to make it seem like he was forced into seeing Barton’s point. Barton laughed. Leo drank his beer to stop himself from laughing.

“Besides, you still are interested.”

“Yes. He’s a good listener though—unlike someone I know who would rather flirt with the staff than listen to me.”

“Maybe I’m just tired of talking history all the time. I like it better when you talk about men and women... fuckin’. Now that’s a topic worth entertaining.” Leo had to laugh at that. Barton was clearly in high spirits, or at least he was happy for him, and that was why Barton was so cheerful. However, he was about to change the tone.

“What did you get up to after we left?”

“Nothing.”

“I know.”

“I know how you know. And so you know why I can’t tell you. Or who else was there, for that matter.”

“I guess I could deal with that,” Leo said. He was patient enough; he’d get answers in his own time. “He has issues with magic. He nearly ran out of my field before I could tell him what it was.”

Leo noticed the quick smile Barton gave at that statement. “But does he want you in return?”

“Yes. I’m still trying to figure out if this is a good thing.”

Barton slammed his drink down on the table, which put a dent in the wood. “You know that even if the warning signs were strewn across the heavens, you’d still pursue him.” Leo really didn’t want to admit that his statement was true. That would validate Barton’s response. Somehow he knew he didn’t have to. Barton knew him as well as the back of his hand sometimes.

“So when’s the wedding?” Leo asked, trying to take the topic in another direction.

“End of summer. Month of Tomian.”

“Sounds good. The weather will be perfect here then.”

“Just the way we want it.”

“I have questions.” Leo felt it was time to reel the conversation back to the point.

“I can’t guarantee you answers.” 

“Is my father involved?”

“Yes.”

Leo’s next question was about Torak. He was fairly certain he wouldn’t get an answer to that one. So he asked one he was more sure about.

“Is Danais involved in mine, or is his something different?” 

“The same.”

“We are going to have to leave,” Leo sighed, taking another swig of ale. It was more of a statement than a question. 

“Yes.” 

“But I can’t tell him.”

“No. He has to figure things out for himself—just like you. Help him? I’m sure you can, but you can’t outright tell him anything or make it too easy. He has to find himself; same as you, even if it’s at a slower pace. I take it you haven’t bedded him yet?”

“It’s not always about that.”

“So he told you no.”

Leo just growled, but he was perfectly sure that Barton took that as a yes. “Don’t you have people your own age to harass, Barton?” Barton laughed, but Leo was serious.

“How old do you think I am?”

“I don’t know. Three hundred and ten?”

“So young,” Barton said, keeping up his laughter. Leo just smiled and had his mug refilled.

“Tell me then. Can I at least know that?” Leo realised there was too much seriousness in his voice. He’d intended to fake exasperation at what he didn’t know, but it just came off too real. He really did want to know, and it showed.

“Are you sure you want to know this?”

Barton had clearly noticed, and Leo didn’t feel the need to lie. “Yes.”

“Three hundred seventy-nine.”

“I was close. Should I indulge his need for more knowledge, or should I just get to know him and let him be?”

“Your teacher and Xan spent the first sixteen years of your life instilling patience and knowledge—even wisdom—into you. Maybe this is why.”

“So you don’t know?”

“Some pieces I must also put together. And I’ve never met the boy before that day.”

“But you knew of him.”

“Yes.”

“And you knew his uncle, though you haven’t spoken to him in the three years we’ve been here.”

“I could’ve just known of him, same as Danais.”

“I doubt it. You’ve known him maybe even longer than I’ve been alive. It was in the speech patterns. That leads me to believe this plan was in effect since before I was born, which means that you and Torak know more about our origins than you let on. And Danias.” Leo said the last phrase as both a question and a statement, peering into his mug of ale as if deep in thought.

“What about the boy?”

“I noticed something today.” 

“Explain.”

No comments:

Post a Comment