Sunday, October 29, 2017

Revelations Chapter 8

Leo was walking in late for his own celebration. He thought for a moment that his father would be mad at him for being late. Then he realised had his father expected him to be on time, he wouldn’t have had the musicians ready to play a processional as he entered. And the abysmal burial music they were playing was clearly a sign that his father had interpreted that Leo would be late. Some of his musician friends were trying to stifle their laughter in the crowd. Leo just decided to look straight ahead and not look at his father. He wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of knowing he won this round. There could always be payback another day.

For only his twenty-eighth birthday, this was a pretty extravagant affair. Leo was still unsure why he would ask for such a celebration and even more why his father would so readily agree to give him one. But here he was. He was so intent on looking professional that he didn’t take notice of anyone on the stage until he was finally ready to take his seat. Leo recovered fast at the sight of Danais. Danais, however, wasn’t nearly as quick.

What were the odds that Danais would be the special guest seated next to the guest of honour? And furthermore, why had no one bothered to tell either of them what was going on? Could this mean that what was going on between them was somehow connected? So many questions. Too few answers. While both were going down this path of thought, Danais was doing it much faster and more excessively, so much so that he realised moments too late that he was holding up progress. He was in the companion to the guest of honour seat. As such, he had to sit with Leo to start the celebrations. He should’ve stood up the moment Leo hit the platform. Danais got out of his seat. He took Leo’s hand, and the two of them sat together.

As they sat, Xan made his appearance. He climbed up and took his place sitting upon Leo’s shoulders. Most of the guests were magicians, so there were Betaves everywhere on top of shoulders, some just roaming the hall, resting on laps and even on the tables. Still, having another Kentai would be unusual. So when Leo saw Kale walking towards them, he was shocked, but he was even more interested in seeing who he was going to. Having never seen Xan’s brother, Leo was curious to what he was doing walking behind the head table.

Danais absentmindedly lowered his hand and rubbed behind Kale’s ear when Kale had reached him. Barton exchanged a glance with Leo, but neither had time to consider their thoughts. The celebration was about to begin. There were the acrobats and the storytellers, interpretive dance, sword displays, and even a short play. The storytellers were Danais’ favourites. They usually told the tales of the land: whether true tales of the gods or fabricated legends. The skill was in the mastery of language and song together. One didn’t have to be a great singer, but those adept at singing usually wrote the most entertaining stories. Some were so good they became part of regular touring musicians’ portfolios. That was the greatest honour—if a story was written so well it could actually be sung in a musical setting as well.

One such was the story of Atora. Naturally, many storytellers had versions of this tale. But one that had been deemed the definitive version was called “Ronilas’ Poison.” It was stylised as a love song, which made it extremely easy on the ears and passionate enough to command the attention of the listener. It was only twenty years old and the writer of this particular verse—Langi Main de Zar Mironi— was at the celebration. Zar was the sub-province in Mironi where Leo was raised. Langi was introducing the song by revealing his inspiration for writing it. Danais was panicking; he was going to sing this song. How could he do it after the original composer? He had to think fast and come up with an alternative. And that was when he heard his name. Langi was introducing him.

Much to Danais’ surprise, Leo stood with him and led him to the floor. This was making him really nervous. Leo was a professional musician. Danais was a naturally gifted singer and by no means a professional. He hoped Leo wouldn’t be attempting to play for him, but that was a wasted hope. Leo picked up his guitar and took a seat not too far from Danais. “Don’t let him intimidate you,” he heard Kale’s voice mind-speak with him.

“Are you saying he’s not a good musician?”

“No. He’s excellent. But so are you. Besides, he’s clearly trying to intimidate or impress you.”

Danais didn’t have time to sort that out. Leo was already playing a lead-in, in the style of what would be called Spanish guitar in a world amongst the worlds.

***

Danais finished his song and received enthusiastic applause. He never sang for an audience, so applause he expected—but not applause like this. Some were even crying. Leo led him back to the head table before he could have a chance to be too overwhelmed. The main meal finally made it to the table after his selection. Danais lost count of the amount of courses, but he wouldn’t dream of passing up food. Before long, Danais had drunk as many drinks as most in the hall and was on the dance floor. Leo somehow managed to work his way toward Danais so they could talk.

“Let’s get out of here.”

“You can’t leave.”

“With all the ale and spirits tonight, I strongly doubt anyone will miss me.” Danais realised he didn’t have much of a choice and let Leo drag him out under the stars. The city looked so much different under the light of the moon. The glow seemed much more warm and inviting than bright and grand. Leo wasn’t hurrying their walk through the city. It was too quiet, with most of the people in this part of Leanor either asleep or at the celebration, he just left.

“You have an amazing voice.”

“You play very well. Don’t you sing also?”

“A little. My voice isn’t that spectacular. So you’ve never been across the lake before?”

“No. And now I’m getting a whole week’s end, and I’m on first-name basis with a Vardon.”

“I did not know that Torak had a fifth child; if a nephew counts as a child. He’s been a family friend for years, and I’ve never known of you. Guess he’s had his reasons.”

“I don’t know much about my parents.”

“Neither do I. Guess we are both the same in that.”

“You’re adopted?”

“Yes. Why so shocked?”

“I dunno. Since you don’t favour your mother, I just assumed you were a bastard son.”

“Of my father?” Leo knew the answer but didn’t see the harm in asking.

“No, of your mother. I assumed you looked like your real father.” By now they were far enough away to hear none of the noise left at the celebration. The yellow sand felt cool under their feet as they walked along the beach. Leo decided a change of topic was in order. Even then, knowing that there was more to him than meets the eye, he still couldn’t shake the feeling of abandonment when it came to his parents.

“I want to see you again.”

“Me? Now I know you must be drunk,” Danais said, and the two laughed together.

“Seriously. Stay with me tonight even.” 

“Me? Why would you want to see me?” From their position on the shore, the roofs of Leanor’s temple could be seen. The ocean itself seemed to be struggling with whether it wanted to shine with the yellow or shimmer in the moonlight. The moon seemed to be winning, causing the yellow of the city to sparkle above the surface which gave a look of floating sawdust.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Leo asked with a hint of frustration before he headed towards the ocean while ripping his shirt from his body. At least that’s the way Danais would tell it. Leo was merely hurriedly pulling his shirt overhead then diving into the sea over the first small wave.

Danais scolded himself. Why else would Leo refuse to tell him his title? Why get him drunk so as to have the advantage of soberness over him? Leo’s father had made Danais sit in the companion spot. Now that was a little questionable unless Leo had told him about their lunch, which was understandable. And then there was Leo’s insistence they leave the party. Kale had even said that Leo may be trying to impress him on purpose. “Why did he have to go in the water?” Danais said softly to himself.

***

Barton entered the room. Inside was Lord Vardon and his Betave, along with Torak, Kale, Xan and now Barton and his Betave. He took the seat he was directed to and waited a little while before speaking.

“Is this all?”

“No. There is more,” Kale said.

“And you are—?”

“Kale.”

“Two Kentais that deem me worth speaking to. My luck must finally be changing,” Barton said with a smile.

“It would take more than Miron himself to change your luck,” Lord Vardon said.

“Bah. Have you seen my future wife? I don’t need good fortune. Clearly, the gods are already smiling down on me.”

“You know you poisoned her,” Xan commented.

“A mere poison spell wouldn’t work on an Atorathian,” Barton said in his defence.

“That only means you used powerful blood magic to do it. To have something like her, you must’ve had to sacrifice a whole leg to do this. And clearly, you did it with enough passion because I haven’t noticed any scars on either leg,” Torak said.

“I’d reckon he done it so well that it grew back even better than before the sacrifice,” Lord Vardon added. Everyone was having a good laugh at Barton’s expense, but he was used to it. One had to be quick to avoid being the topic of taunting. Still, he couldn’t help but think that he was more often on the receiving end.

“Why am I always on the receiving end of this?” Barton asked, trying to conceal his amusement. Funny is funny, after all, even if it was at his expense.

“It would appear that you are an easy target. Or... that you’re an easy target,” Kale said, which brought more laughter. It was the pause in expectation of more and getting the same that made it all the more hilarious.

“And you’re the new addition, and already you’re making fun.”

“Clearly, I missed a good joke,” the seer said as she walked in. “I’ll have to come early next time.”

“Sit. Have a glass of wine.,” Lord Vardon said as he refilled all the glasses. They raised a toast to Ronilas, Goddess of War and Wisdom and mother of Atora and a toast to Atora, God of Strength and Courage. 

“May the gods watch over us and grant us wisdom during this meeting,” Lela said, and they all finished their drinks. Lord Vardon refilled.

“Things have begun. Soon, the magic keeping them hidden will die, and they will have to move,” Lela spoke.

“Yes, seer. I was told that I would start this. I knew it had begun once he told me his name. But I didn’t think it would be so—”

“Simple,” Lela the seer finished for Lord Vardon.

“Yes. He sang; I invited him and knew things had changed because I was told I would invite him into my home without knowing who he was. He told me his name after the invite. I knew Torak had a messenger watching, so I found her and let him know immediately.”

“And how was your first meeting with the boy?” Lela addressed Barton.

“Leo had caught sight of him probably only moments after this invitation. I didn’t think much of it until after we saved his life and Leo insisted we feed him. I was told that blood would bleed orange at the touch of glass. I had assumed it meant that someone would be cut by glass, but the red wine came out orange. That was when I knew who he was.”

“And I was told to avoid allowing him more than a glimpse of the city, and that the moment we needed to go to the city would present itself and that would be the start. I told him there was more to him and let him go into the woods without being followed, as was instructed,” Torak said. “I was not sure why, but I know now it was because Kale would be walking through the forest. Had I not given him the incentive to leave, they would not have met.”

“My apologies for the last-minute change in seating, Torak. Kay sent a message to my Betave, Darla, only this morning to tell me that if I did not get them together before the ceremony, they would not leave together,” Lord Vardon said.

“I am not entirely sure how I knew that, Lord Vardon. It was more intuition than vision, and I could’ve been wrong. I did not think I could risk the chance of not acting even if it was just a feeling and not an actual premonition,” Kay said in explanation of her message.

“And you were smart to do so. I did not see the importance of that until much too late. It is good you trusted your instincts. You were right; I had seen Danais going home and Leo retiring with some woman. Had you not acted, they would not be together now. I cannot see everything and their being together was more important than the future given to me. It would seem that my predictions so far have come true. However, I’m interested in the things I didn’t know. I would finally ask for the story I did not know to be told to you as it was me. Xan will now tell you his part of the tale.”

“I had a vision. A dream about an abandoned child in the sacred wood. A child put there to be found yet also purposely hidden. This made it all the more curious: how I would know where to find the child if it was hidden by spells? Still, I flew to the spot, and there was the child with its name embroidered in the cloth he was wrapped in. The other part of who would be guided to the child by me I did not know. I knew only that I had to fly until I saw the child or the boy would not be found.

“The vision was also clear that I must help raise the boy. Kentai visions are usually disjointed and come in flashes of imagery when we dream but not only when dreaming. I came to the seer for clarification after finding the child. She did not know of my part in this and was helpful in piecing together my vision. I feared it might be too difficult and need the help of a dream-reader. My job, and that of his teacher, was to teach him wisdom and patience because those were the things he would need most through his journey. Still, I know only my part and not why we are here today.”

“And you, Kale. Your story, which I have only just learned?”

“The same day of my brother’s flight, I was in line to be the next king of our people. Our other brother was better suited, but in any case, I had a vision that I should roam the forest of the land and live the wild life of our spirit people—basically to do my job as a Kentai, but just not in the kingdom. The vision said that one day I would come upon a young man, and I was to stop him from doing whatever it was that he was going to do. It turns out that he wanted to storm back to his uncle and demand answers. I calmed him. Judging by his character, I’m confident that that was the thing I was meant to do.”

There was a pause after this new piece of information. Clearly, neither Kentai knew what it was that they were helping to move along. It was not meant for them to know just yet. It would seem that while the seer was doing her part, the magic in the realm was doing its own as well.

“It would appear that Salinor itself agrees with our cause and is helping us. The land wants to heal its people. I have disturbing news.” Both Lord Vardon and Torak grimaced at this. “My power manifested itself in a way that it doesn’t usually when I read them both. I got the same when I read my sister and the same also with the Tyrant. My sister was, may she be blessed in Tara’s halls forever, good in every way. The Tyrant is evil. Yet I stormed for them both. This means the subjects themselves are unpredictable, not that they are necessarily good or bad. However, I believe that is much worse than knowing for sure the depths of their soul.

“My predictions depend on the state of mind of the subjects, and they are not stable enough for me to fully trust the predictions, even though I must in order to plan how to go forward.

“I know for a fact that Danais’ instability will cause rifts that will make or break the mission. I know that Leo’s instability is much less about the emotions of the situation and more with his hidden talents and the stability of them. These are the things I know for sure. They are going to clash, and sadly it may be our doom: the destruction of all Salinor.”

“I was told that Danais would be safe. I’m not entirely comfortable having him unwatched,” Torak said while the others digested the new information.

“Nor I Leo,” Barton added.

“No harm will come to them. This I can guarantee. You of all people should know this, Barton. I may not trust Danais’ judgment, but Leo is an exceptional magician with the wit to go with it. More importantly, I know as far as the week’s end, they will be safe inside the borders of Atorath.”

“I would like to know everything, as would my brother. I believe that this is why I and my brother are here,” Xan said.

“So do I,” replied the seer.

***

Danais saw some nearby rocks jutting out into the water. He sat on the edge of the rocks and let his feet rest in the water. Leo swam over and looked up at him. Danais smiled. His uncle was right: he was easy game for a cute face.

“So will you stay, and how’s your second day?”

“I will stay, and I’m working on the second day. Mal is my first day back to work. Uncle’s only giving me the weekend.”

“That’s okay. I will still be there.”

Danais jumped up at that moment with an accusing look on his face.

“You’ve put a spell on me.”

“I haven’t—”

“It’s raining, and I’m still dry.” 

“Don’t run!”

Danais was making good time, considering the rocks weren’t too smooth. Still, he managed to stop just before getting wet.

“It’s just a small protective barrier.”

“Protection?”

“Yes.” Danais slowly made his way back to the edge. “I have reason to believe we need protection, even against sound. It keeps people who mean harm away and is soundproof to all but the best magicians, and it can sense if harm persists in coming towards us.”

Danais should’ve thought of that. After all that was going on, he had to be under protection he didn’t know of. All the people who knew were left behind at the villa. How was he being protected if he was now important? He was a peasant with no power and was easy prey for anyone. However, Leo had casually thought of this like it was second nature. Danais realised he had a lot of scolding himself to come in the future if this kept up.

“That’s no small piece of magic.”

“It is for me.”

“Why do I need protection anyway? All this secrecy. Why can’t I know?”

“Life doesn’t work that way. We will know when we are meant to know.”

Danais got a sudden urge to vault something at him. Unfortunately, there were no loose rocks, so Danais was forced to glare at him until his temper ebbed.

“Come in the water with me.”

“These are expensive clothes.”

“Take them off.”

Danais thought about this. He could be stubborn and protest, but Leo wasn’t stupid. He’d figure out that he just couldn’t swim.

“I cannot swim.”

“I’ll hold you. Come.”

It was something in the way Leo said “come” that seemed to tear away at Danais’ resistance. He started to strip. “How deep is it right here?”

“Too deep to stand.”

“Should I walk in?”

“Just jump. I’ll grab you.”

“Suddenly I’m starting to question your sanity.”

“Trust me.”

Danais thought about this. If holding up this barrier was minor, Leo should be strong enough to save him—in theory, that is. He decided to throw all caution to the wind and jump in. The worst that could happen was death. That thought came as he hit the water. Immediately, he panicked, regretting his decision. His mind was about to go through its usual thinking process when he felt something wrap around him and pull him to the surface. Then he was again breathing the air—and not even gasping.

“You sank faster than I expected.”

“You said you’d grab me, so I figured flailing for my life would kill me faster.”

“Really?” Leo wasn’t really buying this explanation, and his smile was clearly stating so.

“Well, you saved me before I had time to panic.”

“Ah. Now that’s a story I can believe. You’re tensing up. Afraid of something?”

“The water. Apparently, I have a fear of boats and water. I spent years dreaming of going out to sea, and I turn into a jellyfish as soon as my feet hit the dock.”

Leo chuckled, “I see.”

“Yes. My uncle had to pull me along, and then I spent most of the time hanging over the ship.”

“Sounds ideal. Relax. I won’t drop you.”

Danais clearly didn’t hear this and tightened his grip. Leo just smiled. He could get used to this.

“You could crush me with your hands. They’re huge.”

“Well, I am half Keldonian after all.”

“Yes, but I’m sure you wouldn’t need magic to kill someone.” 

“That’s a fair assumption.”

“So why me?”

“Why is the sky blue? I don’t know why. It just is. Why not you?”

“I’m an Atorathian peasant. Bedding me is one thing but a genuine interest? You are like the sea, and I’m just a stream. You are the lake, and I’m a pond. Out of all the eligible magicians and true Atorathians, why would a Vardon, of all the magicians, choose me? The list is endless.”

Leo smiled and nodded before speaking. “Logically that makes sense. But you’ve never been in love before, have you?”

Danais ignored the question and the implication. How could Leo make him seem so small, young, naive and inexperienced in one phrase? Leo seemed to be nonplussed, whether Danais answered or not. This sense of calm annoyed Danais. Danais stressed over everything, and it seemed that everything would be okay with Leo even if he cursed him. On the other hand, if Danais admitted the truth, Leo would probably be okay with that too. Danais was irritated by this—and impressed at the same time.

“No. I haven’t.”

“That’s okay. We all start somewhere. However, love isn’t logical and knows no boundaries. If it did, mixed breeds like me wouldn’t exist.” Leo watched Danais mentally work through that point. He found that though Danais was young and impatient at times, he was still intelligent. It was just a matter of breaking through that overbearing need to know and forcing him to slow down and think. Which also had it’s problems since Danais was a chronic over thinker.

“Why are you a full magician and other builders aren’t?”

“It’s all choice. The crafting of the builders stems from magic. The more adept they are, the better they can work with the magical woods and stones through Salinor. So they use the wordsong, word weave, or magician whisper, to speak to whatever they are using to build. This is how it is in all the provinces. Their unique abilities all stem from magic. So some choose to excel in their natural magic gift. It helps support the province and keep the skill alive.”

“Why the different name for magician speak? And what of full magicians?”

“It depends on the task. When talking to plants or buildings, it does sound more like song. When performing more serious spells, it sounds much more like language: either a very intense and precise whisper or a louder and firmer form of speech. So it’s really only worded differently because of the sound, not what it actually is. But in all forms, it seems to have a rhythm that lends itself to sounding music. In that sense, word song would be best, but we say word weave more often. Guess there is no real answer to the different phrasing of it.

“Full magicians are those that go to regular magician schools or home school. They decide to develop their magic to become magicians, as opposed to being superb in their native gifts. Either route is good, depending on how gifted you are with magic. Better ability serves you best, whichever route you take. I of course, as you know, was trained by my teacher and Betave, Xan, who was also a Kentai.”

“Okay. So how deep is it here?” 

“Plenty deep. At least twenty of you.” 

“Really? And you just let me jump in.”

“You are named after the God of the Moon and Sea. You shouldn’t fear water.”

“I don’t. I fear drowning. It’s different.”

“You have a good sense of humour,” Leo said through a laugh. “I’m going to let you go.” Danais opened his mouth, but Leo continued before he could speak. “Don’t panic. This will be hard to do if you are not calm.”

Danais took a deep breath and nodded, not realising that Leo had already let him go.

“Watch.”

Leo squeezed his right hand into a fist hard enough to draw blood. He then put his left palm out over the water and started to mumble. The wordsong was very appealing even though you couldn’t hear what the magician was saying. As he spoke, a pillar of water rose up toward his hand. He cupped it at the bottom with his bleeding hand and separated the column from the water’s surface. He moved his hands slowly together in a way that he would roll a large ball, forming the column into a small ball that he could hold in one hand. Then the whispering stopped, and he looked at Danais.

“Take it.” It was said as a demand, but it felt as if he were saying, “This is for you, Danais.” Danais hesitated at first, and Leo was unsure if he’d made a mistake. Maybe he shouldn’t have done so much magic around someone who was opposed to magic. He released an internal sigh when Danais finally reached forward and took it into his hand.

In his hand was a small globe. It was the perfect size for Leo’s hand but just big enough for Danais to feel the need to use two. Inside was a replica of the temple of Leanor floating beneath the water and under a red moon.

“This is amazing.”

“Thank you.”

Danais was impressed with the modesty of it all. “Why is the moon red?”

“Drop of blood. It seemed the logical thing to do.”

“Your hand is already healed.” It was a question and a statement. 

“Yes.” Danais didn’t want to work out the implications of this, at least not at that moment. He was just going to enjoy the gift for now. 

“I left my gift for you at the inn.”

Leo smiled. By all rights, he shouldn’t have been interested in someone so boy-like. But somehow, through his innocence, Leo could sense a maturity in Danais. He was almost certain that it wasn’t just because he was attracted to him. Almost.

“Let’s go get it, then.”

It was at this moment that Danais realised how far they had drifted from the shore. How had he let himself get this comfortable? Was there more magic at work here than Leo was telling him? There had to be something at work here. If Leo could get him this relaxed without magic, that meant his uncle was more right than Danais cared to believe. He was prey for an attractive face. Throw in the deep voice, and he was more than prey, he was an easy target.

Leo was enjoying every mental struggle Danais had. If he were an indecent man, he’d pry into his thoughts, but he wasn’t. And there was a certain pleasure to be had in not knowing and guestimating from the reaction. Besides, if he had assumed, right there was only one course of action.

“Get behind me.”

“Huh?”

“Behind me. I’m going to swim us back to shore. We are a long ways out.” Danais did as told and was well aware that they could move much faster if assisted by magic. Leo, however, wasn’t using any. Once they were on the shore, Danais allowed him to cast a slight warming spell to dry their clothes. They weren’t under the protective rain barrier once they went further out to sea.

“Are you ready to head to the inn now?”

“Yes.”

“I know a fast way from here. Come.”

Leo clearly knew his way around the city. They did get back to the inn considerably faster than Danais thought that they would. Once Danais handed the gifts to Leo, he could tell that the glass blower must’ve done an excellent job to impress someone of such wealth.

Leo had handed him a plate and a drinking glass of blue and grey. It was in a swirling pattern, much as if it were a smooth storm, if such a thing were possible. But what made it pop was the very subtle bits of orange, almost like red lighting trying to break through the swirl of clouds. It was beautiful.

Leo wasn’t quite sure what to make of this. But this was an obvious sign that something of epic proportions was about to happen. This gift was the perfect gift in ways that Leo would never admit.

“So can I see you on Mal, the second day, or Tanda, the third day?”

***

“Wait!” The seer had just finished explaining all the details the two Kentais did not know and Kay was quieting the room. Someone was at the door. Moments later, Mai’n came in. She had three bodies—alive but immobilised—with her.

“I couldn’t effectively follow the conversation and hide three bodies.”

“They followed us?” Barton asked.

“Only out of curiosity, Barton.”

Mai’n was trained by the builders. She was as good an assassin as any, by Mironian standards.

“I sent her a message three days past. I knew she needed to be here but was unable to ascertain why. Since I didn’t see her in the meeting, I told her to follow Barton to the meeting. As with most things when I’m unsure, I have to trust my instincts. Clearly, if I assumed the future had changed, she would be in here, and they would be running off with information.”

“So what do you think about what’s going on?” Lord Vardon asked Mai’n.

“I agree with Kale. Apparently, the direction of the plan has changed. As such, we must adapt with it. My being here when the week before I was not, proves the seer’s point: any decisions they make seem to have more drastic changes than they normally would. Still, I feel the course should stay the same, even though the route needs to be adjusted.”

“You are an amazing woman,” Torak said to Mai’n. A bit off topic but he had his reasons.

“Only amazing, Torak?”

“My eldest son is unattached. How’s your cousin?”

“Still not interested. I hear your youngest is finally marrying.” 

“And who told you that piece of information, Mai’n?” He was looking at the seer.

“I might have let it slip over wine at the celebration,” Lela replied with too much innocence.

“Slip?”

“She was talking about how our oldest still pines for her cousin. I merely replied by saying the youngest was getting married. Women talk.”

“Why did I marry you?”

“Because I’m a force of nature to be admired. Before I take my leave, thanks to you, Lord Vardon, for a wonderful night. I’m leaving the province and may be gone for a time. I want to deliver an account of this meeting directly. And yes, I’ll talk to our son and meet this love. I’ll make sure one of your messengers sends full details back after my report, Torak. Good night, all. May Salinor the Great Mother watch over you.” And with that, the meeting was terminated.

***

“So this is what a room bigger than a chocolate box looks like,” Danais said as he entered the room. The bed probably wouldn’t even fit in his room back home. It was a dark brown bed with blue satin sheets and sheer blue curtains on the bed canopy. In the corner close to a window was a small study area and a bookshelf, and a deep brown table with papers strewn across. By the fireplace was a multi-shades- of-blue area rug with a small centre table, also chocolate brown.

“Why such dark furnishings?”

“I like how it neutralises the yellow walls. And the blue is because I like blue.”

“It gives the walls a tinge of green, like the ocean. You could’ve gone for red and gotten a more orangey, fiery feel.”

“Opposites. Interesting.”

“I’ve been told I run hot and cold.”

“Really? Maybe I should put a stronger force field around myself.” 

“Like I could really take you out. You’re twice the size of me. Your back’s a little tracked there.”

Leo had just taken off his top. “Well, I was late today. No name. No one important. Aren’t you getting into bed? Come.”

Danais stripped as well and got into bed. Danais stared up at the curtains and was a little envious that he would never get to see this life, and more so now that he had been introduced to it by a magician. He was an Atorathian, so he wondered why he should not be shown this by a noble of Atorath. 

“You comfortable?”

“Yes,” Danais replied. Leo propped himself onto his side and put his hand on Danais’ chest. He moved his hand down over his stomach and back up, then down again.

“Do it, and I’ll chop off your hand,” Danais said with his eyes closed. He opened his eyes and looked into Leo’s. They were the blue of fresh rain. Leo’s hands seemed like magic as they moved over his body.

“You’re good at this.”

“I studied massage.”

“So what is it that you see in me?” Danais asked. He had been wondering all night and now was as good a time as any to ask. Leo turned him over before answering so he could work on his back. 

“I don’t know, really. From my first sight of you, you were too far away to see clearly.”

“Love at first sight then.” Leo didn’t answer; he just continued on Danais’ back, then turned him over and crawled on top of him. “Is it okay that I’m on top of you?”

“Well, you’re holding your body up.”

“That’s not what I meant.”

Danais looked down then back up again. “You like me. It is only natural that I excite you. I see my jest about your manhood was a little off.”

“Really?” Leo asked, smiling and raising an accusing eyebrow. 

“It would seem that I underestimated.” 

Leo let out a hearty laugh. “If it is too much, I can stop pursuing you.”

“Is that what this is? Are you sure it isn’t kidnapping by force?” 

“You can leave if you want.” Danais flared at Leo’s statement. He was tempted to go, but Leo had left him in the bed to consider leaving and didn’t give him any time to get angry. Danais didn’t even remember him leaving the bed. Did he leave the bed? In any event, Danais realised he didn’t want to leave and went through the French doors and out onto the balcony. Leo put his arm around him and pulled Danais beside him.

“I wasn’t serious,” Danais said.

“No.” Leo sounded doubtful.

“Really?”

“No. You were. It was in your tone, the insinuation that I must’ve used magic to force you here. You don’t trust magicians. I respect that. I don’t like it. But I understand.”

“So you’re a mind reader now.” Danais was immediately upset with himself. That’s two times he’d taken what could have been sarcasm and said it with too much anger. Leo, though, hearing the second accusation, decided that he was going to ignore it.

“The view is good from here,” Danais said.

“Yes. I find the moon calming. Clearly, you do as well. I would like to spend the day with you.”

“I must work early on Mal.”

“I’ll be sure to have you back to work on time. I will ask your uncle at morning. Will you say yes?”

“I’m going back to bed.”

Leo let out a sigh, but he didn’t take his gaze from the moon. “Should I come with you?”

“Yes.”

Danais was shocked at how fast he said yes. Leo was just happy to be following him back to the bed. He got in behind Danais, but before he could turn, Leo had grabbed him and pulled Danais to him and stole a kiss. Then to his surprise, Danais initiated a second one, much more intimate than the first—the kind that lingered in the body long after the kiss was done. Then Danais turned around and let Leo pull him back against his chest. Danais loved the feel of having Leo’s arms wrapped around him. And Leo was more than happy to feel the warmth of Danais’ body within his embrace. This was a nameday that Leo was sure to never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment