Monday, October 30, 2017

Revelations Chapter 9

Leo woke pleased to find himself still with Danais. Danais had a light snore that Leo thought was cute. He was about to get out of bed, but Xan jumped into the bed to give him a message.

“He suggests you take the boy across in the morning rather than spend the day in the city. He also says that Danais likes the large pastries.” Xan seemed to find the second bit of information quite amusing. “It seems he wants to help you but has informed me to ensure you tell no one he’s interfering.” Leo also found this amusing. It was clear that something was going on and others were supposed to let it run its course. But he had no doubt that there would be meddling.

“I have that effect on people. What do you think about Danais?” 

“I think he’s trouble.”

“And that means.”

“What does it matter? He’s no trouble to me. He’s your problem.” Leo chuckled before responding. “Would it have been so hard to just say you like him?”

“I have no idea what you mean,” Xan replied defiantly, but he couldn’t conceal his smile.

“What does your brother think about it?”

“I think you’re too good for the child.” Apparently, Kale was already in the bed. On the other side of Danais, Leo was too distracted by Xan on his side of the bed to notice.

“Did you sleep with us all night?”

“I had an itch behind my ear, and the boy was happy to relieve it.” 

“For a race so sensitive about talking to humans, you certainly aren’t shy on the sarcasm.”

“We have to talk amongst ourselves. Why should we lose our wit when we talk to people?” Kale responded.

“There is some truth in your logic. So can I stay in bed for a while and enjoy the moment.”

“If you want to miss the boat,” Xan said. This Leo interpreted to be a “no,” but he bit back his protest and woke up Danais. Danais’ response was to glare at him, roll over and rest his head on his chest. He mumbled something to himself that sounded like “the gods must be toying with me” to Leo. Leo laughed, and Danais mumbled a warning to Leo not to laugh; it was moving his chest, and Danais was trying to sleep.

“Come on we have to go. We may miss the boat.”

“But the sun isn’t up yet,” Danais said while absentmindedly playing with the hair just below Leo’s navel. Now it was Leo’s turn to say the gods must be toying with him. Danais was lying on his chest while playing with the trail of hair on his stomach. How could he get up from this? But he knew that he must.

“We must get up, Danais. Come.” Danais managed to get out of bed, but his eyes were struggling to stay open. Leo had to guide him to the bath. Danais found the bath so relaxing that he almost fell back asleep in the water. But Leo had him out, dressed, and on the dock in double quick time. Danais was in his regular clothes and looking like the peasant that he was. Leo—well, he was Leo.

“I see your second boat ride is going much better.”

“Just drink your beer,” Danais said with a smile.

“If you insist.”

“I’m short even by Atorathian standards. Even still you’re tall. Really tall. I don’t even make it to your shoulders. Even by Keldonian standards, you’re tall.”

“You have a problem with that?”

“No. It’s just an observation. I’m climbing on the edge. Just hold me.”

Leo did as told and held Danais so he wouldn’t plummet to his doom over the side.

“You do realise if I drop you, you’ll die.”

“You won’t. Besides, Xan and Kay will destroy you if you let harm come to me.”

Leo smiled. Clearly, the Kentais weren’t the only ones with wit. “I enjoyed our night.”

“I did as well.”

“So you agree we should do it more often then?”

“Persistent.”

“Yes. And I’m aware that once you are seen with me, people will become interested. And I’m in Atorath, which means the competition will be tough,” Leo said with a smile. It was always a challenge for a magician to win over Atorathians entirely. Bedding them was one thing but making them yours—they usually finally settled down with their own or a peasant from any province. It was just one of those things. So to win Danais and have him stay with him would be impressive.

“I guess I can take you seriously, then. What do I tell people if they ask?”

“That you belong to me. Don’t let that stop you from having fun, though,” Leo said with laughter in his voice. “The ship has stopped. Come.” Leo said this and took note of something that he saw. Danais didn’t seem to notice. Leo was going to have to remember to ask Barton what it meant.

Danais, though he enjoyed the city very much, was glad to be in his own town, where the otherworldliness of the yellow city was gone. He was back to the natural colours of the earth. The sun had finally risen, and it was just the right time for some delicious pastries. Besides, he wanted to watch the boats come and go. As he walked beside Leo from the pier and onto Londar Road, he realised that he may have exaggerated, even if only slightly, the height of Leo

The mountain people, Danais mused, were the tallest in all Salinor, save the dragons when in human form. At their shortest, they were usually six- feet-five. Leo, Danais thought was definitely in the middle range—seven, seven foot one, maybe. In any event, he still dwarfed Danais, but at least amongst his own people he’d fit and wouldn’t be the tallest amongst them.

“You’re practically a giant.”

“Not so. In T’nagig I actually get to feel short.”

“You’ve been to the giant island.” Danais could barely contain his shock. “Is it true they are relatives of the elves? Do the elves exist?” 

“Yes. They are immortal as well. They used to roam freely amongst us, debating whether or not they should retreat to their own lands. As I’m sure you know, humans are quite self-destructive even without all our small wars. It was the Tyrant that finally did it. The elves, dwarves and giants finally decided to leave men to their own devices. However, they still shared a love of humans. They each allowed their spirits to roam amongst the lands: the sea sprits, Spartas, which had their homes off the shores of the Giant island; the Kentais, spirits of the earth, whose homeland was in the mountains of the dwarfs; and the dragons, sprits of the sky and watchers over all magical creatures, whose homeland is in the realm of the elves.

“Each of the three was created in their homeland in conjunction with a god which is why Danais is lord of the sea spirits. He, in turn, entrusted the Giants, who helped him create them, to guard over their homeland. The same goes for the Kentais. They are creatures for Nuri, Goddess of the Earth, in the care of the dwarves and then the dragons, created for Leos, Goddess of Sun and Sky.”

Conversation stopped for a while because they had just entered the shop and Garnter had some new beans on display that Danais had to inquire about.

“Those are Waikin beans. They have a strong scent like cocoa. They seem to give you an extra boost and keep you awake, so they call them Waikin. These ones are chocolate-covered. I can brew you a cup if you like,” Garnter said.

“Yes and—”

“Master Vardon. Happy belated name day.”

“Thank you, Garnter.”

“Are you two—?”

“I’m hoping. But the little guy’s hard work.”

“That he is. But with a heart of gold. Just twelve days ago—” 

“Garnter!”

“All right, Danais. I won’t tell him what a catch you are.”

“Must you glow about me every time I come in?” Danais asked, not really giving it the attention the statement required. He was too focused on the displays. “I’ll take one of those, oh and three of these too. One of that. Have you anything fresh?”

“I have a small, pie-sized, apple cinnamon, chocolate muffin.”

“Great. And I’m sure Leo wants something too. How about one of the Waikin cups?”

“It’s best with vanilla liquor. And some like it with milk, though some prefer sugar. I’ll make it black, and you can taste it and then add to it to decide your preference.”

“Okay.” Danais was expecting a fight after ordering so much food. Leo just paid and shared a laugh with Garnter. Then he led Danais out to a table. It wasn’t long before the Waikin arrived. Danais decided that he did like it better with liquor. Leo was not shocked by this at all. 

“I didn’t know what you told me earlier. It was interesting. Maybe it’s no coincidence that a Kentai chose to be your Betave. Aren’t the dwarf mines hidden within the province of Keldon?”

“Yes. Just like Gornala, one of the cities of the elves and the giant city, you can’t find it unless taken by its inhabitants, or you are allowed to remember the secrets of how to find them. Many have tried and failed. The magic hiding them is beyond what most humans can accomplish. The Tyrant fears them. Even though they can all be killed just like humans, he fears they may join the Alliance, making it much harder for him to destroy them.”

“This is much more complex than just good and evil, apparently.” 

“Yes. So have you ever been in a relationship before?”

“No. You’re the first to pursue me, and I’ve never tried myself.” 

“But clearly you’ve done your share of bedding.”

“I’m an Atorathian. We fuck. It’s not uncommon for us to start much earlier than others.”

“Fair enough.”

“You have, though.”

“Twice. Andad and Felat.”

“Boy then girl.”

“Yes. Been a free man for three years now.”

“You going to eat that?” Danais asked, gesturing toward Leo’s muffin.

“Yes.” Danais pouted, and Leo ignored it. “When is your eighteenth name day?”

“As yours starts spring, mine begins summer, twelve moon cycles from now.”

“Ah. Three months. The month of Atora.”

“And you the month of Salinor. The beginning of spring and the new year.”

“Yes. No one knows for sure the precise day of my birth, so they chose the day Atora started his journey up the mountain to save his mother and ultimately falling in love with the goddess, as most men do. With the difference being her falling in love with him back.”

“You believe the story?”

“It is one of Salinor’s best. He knew that Salinor was rumoured to make a journey up the mountain on the first day of spring. So he made his way to the island to find that the rumour was true. Then he followed her trail using the tracking skills taught to him by his mother, Ronilas. The start of the trail can only be seen on the first of spring, but once on it, even if you lose sight of the goddess, the trail is still there. To this day, Atora is the only one to follow the right trail after losing sight of her. The trail was also designed to kill walkers who venture further than half way. Most never did, and it is believed those who did were the ones who never returned.

“By the time he had made it to the top of the mountain, he was so bruised and broken that he shouldn’t have been able to move. But the sight of the gate of the gods, which was the size of a small mountain, gave him strength to move on. That surge of strength was in vain because he stumbled and broke his good leg. He cursed the gods, condemning them to death, and with his one good arm dug his dagger into the ground and slowly pulled himself toward the edge of the mountain to sacrifice himself.

“He threw himself over but was saved. He cried out in anger, defeated. Even after saying a prayer of sacrifice, he was denied and found himself back atop the edge he had thrown himself from. That was when Leanor appeared and asked why he had followed her. Her mother and a few other gods were present, as well.”

***

“Because I thought you were your mother, I came to ask a favour of the Mother of All.”

“And what would you ask of her?” Leanor asked, an amused look on her face.

“My mother was poisoned. A magician used blood magic to poison another, but the barman put the poison in the wrong glass. My mother is now ill with no chance of survival. We tried many other avenues to save her, but all the magicians told us that we had to go to the original magician. The blood magic used was very strong. So we went and asked for him to undo his mistake, but he refused. Laughed at us. Knowing that you walk up the mount in spring each year, I made the journey through winter to come to the Island of the Gods in hopes of catching you.”

“So here I am,” Atora continued. “After days of climbing and broken limbs, after throwing myself to my death to ask you this one favour: will you save my mother?” Atora had no idea if he could just ask a god for a favour without offering something in return—especially the mother of all. But the damage was already done; he’d asked.

“Was it you who decided to journey up?”

“No. I am the youngest of three. Normally, the eldest would be set such a serious task, but it was my mother’s idea, and she insisted that if anyone were to survive the journey, it would be me. There were other tasks my brother and sister were better suited for should I fail.”

“Do you even know if your mother is still alive? If she was so poisoned, she may not have survived the winter.” Leanor was still speaking while the rest listened.

“My mother is a strong woman. And we did manage to slow the result of the poison but not the effects; the pain grows still, even though she is taking much longer to die.”

“No.” Finally, Salinor spoke.

“Then I have failed. But before my life is taken and I join Tara’s halls, I would like to say that I am in love with your daughter. I fell in love with her from the moment I saw her, thinking that she was you. She is as beautiful as all the beauty in every world not known to man and this one. Even if I were the greatest god in all the realm, I would still be unworthy of her love. I will be happy to die knowing that I can look upon such beauty.”

“You can see me?”

“Yes. Am I not to look upon you? Forgive my ignorance.”

“You are the first to make it up the mountain and the only human to be able to look upon me without me dimming my aura. Furthermore, you don’t seem to be entranced by the spell I hold on men. You are unique.”

“I am my mother’s son.”

“This must be some woman,” Leanor spoke to her mother words that Atora could not hear. After a few moments, Salinor addressed him saying, “Tell me: why should I, Salinor, Goddess of All, grant you this request? Who are you to deem yourself worthy of the favour of the gods?”

***

“And that was when the Atorathian oath—and the oath for the realm of Salinor—was created. In strength when we are broken, in faith when doubt was certain, in hope against hope we believe.”

“We believe,” everyone seated outside said. They had all gone quiet to listen to Leo’s version of the legend. He said it with such conviction. And it was not uncommon to reply, especially in Atorath, when the oath was spoken. Leo continued, with the oath, “the blessings of Salinor through all the realm,” to which the people responded “the blessings of Salinor.” Then he stood, raised his glass and said “Unity,”. Everyone stood up, raised their glasses and said, “Ronilas, bring us unity forever!” Leo shouted with them. Then they all finished their drinks before sitting back down.

Danais didn’t know what to say. He could’ve said the story without the oath. But he told it in that way that made one want to quiet down and listen. Then he said “The blessings of Salinor throughout all the realm,” instead of “Salinor smile down upon us.” Such a proclamation would’ve typically gotten a “Hail Salinor” in response, and that would’ve been the end of the oath. But the way he continued was the Atorathian way which led to the different response. Danais was nothing short of amazed by this. It was said that Ronilas was the first human to become a God. So leading to the ‘unity’ ending of the oath was very Atorathian and other provinces didn’t always do it.

It was well known that people believed this story was somewhat of a hoax and that Ronilas was already a God, as were her children. The other version was that they were sent down in human form to save the land. It was more of a legend of sacrifice than that of a wise mother and her children’s devotion to save her. Luckily, there were enough people from other provinces that did believe, so the truth never died.

“I’m impressed. It would appear that you believe our version of the story.”

“I feel compelled to. It is said that the Vardon family is one of the lines that came out of Salinor’s affairs with humans. She is now one of the gods that doesn’t mate with mortals anymore. I’ve always believed there was a chance I was from her line. I’ve been doing research for years but nothing to prove whether or not it is true. Rumour has it her brother, Danais, also favoured the Vardons. I’m not really a Vardon, but still, it would be exciting to find out that my ancestors were related to Salinor herself.

“And I can’t want to be a part of her family without believing in this story. Ronilas was behind the War of the Beginning. The only human to be so loved by a god, not only was she made one but sits at her right hand. It’s a story worth believing in. And I seem to have a habit of fantasising my birth was the start something great.”

Danais laughed at that last sentence. “I dream the opposite: that my birth was already a part of something great.”

“Must be an orphan quality,” Leo said with a smile.

“Is it true about the magician curse? Is it really the reason some magicians can’t stay long in Atorath?”

“Yes. Atora’s hate of the magician, along with that of his brother and his sister, spawned a magic over the land. Any magician that comes here with the means of doing harm or taking over dies or becomes severely ill.”

“So the fact that some magicians do call this their main home means they are good?”

“No. It just means they have no intentions of causing harm to Atorath or using it in plans of destruction. It doesn’t guarantee a magician’s good nature, as you can tell by the fact that they were stoning you the other day.”

“I suspect you are knowledgeable in many areas.”

“One could say so. My teacher and Xan were very good. And apparently, I’m an eager student.”

“I’ve never been told the particulars of the curse. I guess because I am Atorathian I just take it for granted.”

“That is to be expected. You don’t know much of the father, mother, or the other siblings do you?”

“I don’t. Should I?”

“Yes. They all played a very important role in shaping each province. Their father has the distinction of being the only person raised from the grave to be a god. This is the most important family in all of Salinor’s history and they were Atorathian.” Leo and Danais left the shop and walked the streets in silence before Leo continued.

“It shames me that so many people have forgotten or just take for granted what they did for us. But even if we have grown so accustomed in our ways that we’ve forgotten where we came from, you should know. Your people should remember. You are Atorathians.”

Barton often warned him that sometimes he looked past basic human flaws and expected too much from people. “Humans are flawed. You can’t expect them to have such a deep desire in faith as you,” Leo recalled Barton saying in his mind. And Danais was young. It was unfair for Leo to make Danais feel guilty for his shortcomings or for his peoples’. This clearly was one of Leo’s flaws, but he wasn’t going to stew over it. He’d made Danais feel this way, and he was just going to have to deal with it.

“I am sorry to take my frustrations out on you.”

“You are right. I should be ashamed. If not you, someone would’ve pointed out the fact that there are major gaps in what I know of my own history. I would take it you encounter this in your travels often: people who have misconstrued versions of the beginnings of their provinces, serving gods blindly, and even some things have been lost.”

“I do. But as Barton would say, everyone can’t be like me.” 

“True, but we are partly to blame. We just tell our own versions of the stories when we should seek out the truth. If truths have been lost, it is in part because of us.” Danais felt the truth of the sentence as he spoke it and felt a little bit more shame. His uncle and cousin had readily offered many times to teach him more history. He stubbornly refused it for what he thought were better things. He even once had a reading habit. Where did his thirst for understanding desert the action to obtain it? When did he start asking for answers that he could actually get on his own and start becoming frustrated when he didn’t receive them? A change was needed.

“Can I hold your hand?” Leo asked.

Danais obliged, and they walked together in a much more comfortable silence than at the start of their walk. Danais sang to himself when he was relaxed. Leo loved it. Danais had an excellent high and low register, with almost perfect pitch. The lack of perfection gave his voice a real quality that set it apart from those of the professionals Leo dealt with on a regular basis. A texture that was hard to come by.

“You have a beautiful voice,” Kale said, suddenly walking beside them.

“I do okay. How old are you, Kale?”

“153. Many years your senior, young one.”

“I guess I am still just a child.”

“But you have potential.”

“Potential?”

“Yes. That means the promise of something more,” Leo said.

“I know what it means,” Danais said and nudged him. Leo smiled in response.

“Come,” Leo said, directing Danais to climb on his back.

“It hasn’t been a week, and already he’s taking my spot,” Xan said to his brother, exaggerating fake jealousy. Kale just laughed.

“You know you don’t mind,” Leo said.

“Besides, you can still climb up here. I’m not that big. There’s plenty of room,” Danais added. Kale let out a hearty laugh. Xan just rolled his eyes.

“You hungry yet?” Leo asked, already knowing the answer. 

“Hungry? Can a fish breathe underwater?”

“I’ll get us something from a shop up ahead. They make decent sandwiches.” Danais hadn’t been this far down through Londar for a while, so this place was obviously new. He mostly stayed on the side of town close to the farm.

“Now that’s a word I don’t understand. Where did that come from? ‘Sandwich’ refers to food in-between bread? Why not a word that incorporates bread? What does ‘sand’ or the word ‘which’ have to do with food?” Danais asked, seemingly at random.

“You ask an interesting question. Sadly, no book I’ve ever read seems to hold the origins of that word. But then, that’s like asking where did the word “steak” come from. The only other form of steak sounds like something you use to hold up tents. They are known as pegs as well. Or you can say to stake your claim, which makes a certain sense, seeing as in its literal form that’s exactly what a stake does: it holds fast to something or holds something steady. So why is cow, or beef, known as steak? And even more, why is it spelt differently?” Leo responded to Danais’ statement.

“I’m sorry I asked about the sandwich. I’ll have to be more careful with my words. Next, you’ll be trying to explain to me how water isn’t really blue and it’s just the reflection of the sky. You could’ve stopped long before going on about steak.”

“Don’t make me drop you,” Leo said. Danais knew it was an empty threat.

“You would do that. I knew you were no gentleman.” Leo was already in the shop, telling the counter person exactly what he wanted on his sandwich. He ordered two of the same, every meat, and loads of some sauce that he wished he could get the ingredients for, but the chef was still refusing to sell their secrets. After paying, they headed a little way out of the town and sat under a large oak tree. Danais broke off a piece of his sandwich before starting and handed it to Kale. He knew if he didn’t, he’d just eat the whole thing.

“You look tired.”

Danais swallowed the last bite of his sandwich before glaring at Leo. “You didn’t let me sleep.”

Leo ignored the accusation and persisted by asking Danais if he was tired again.

“I am.”

“Let me take you home then.”

“It’s still a ways to sundown.” Danais had a much longer protest, but a massive yawn slowed his momentum.

“Let’s go. Come.” Danais did as told and followed.

It was a fairly long walk across the whole city to Chibal Way, but soon they were approaching the farm. As soon as they reached the farm, Danais went straight to bed and was snoring in seconds. Leo, not seeing Torak, decided to go. Danais hadn’t really invited him in, and he didn’t think it was appropriate to impose himself. Besides, there was always tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment