Monday, October 23, 2017

Broken: Chapter 1


     Sandjai woke up. Sun shining into his room reminding him that this day was about to begin. That was the very last thing that he wanted to deal with. Summer was coming, it was his last year in high school, and he could think of a million things he’d rather be doing than getting up on a Saturday. And why was his alarm blaring dancehall at this ridiculous hour? It had to be his best friend screwing with his phone again. He knew one thing for sure. He wasn’t going to be getting up. Nothing was going to ruin his sleep today.
     He quickly turned off the phone and then threw his head back onto his pillow. He sighed and just as he was about to go back to his happy place there was a tugging at his bed. Then his foot started to feel a little damp, then more damp. He tried to fake sleep as best he could, but ultimately he had to give in.
     “Fuck I’m up!” He got out of the bed and looked at his phone just as it started blaring at him again. This time it was country music. When did his friend have enough time to do this to his phone? He turned off the second alarm, looked down at the dog and sighed. The animal was all smiles and totally unconcerned by the fact that he didn’t want to be up. Sandjai petted him. And was just glad the Rottweiler wasn’t the one jumping on top of him this morning and the Yorkie woke him up.
     He went into the bathroom to brush his teeth, and the dog followed him. A shiny grey bubbling bundle of morning happy. Then his phone rang again. This time it was blaring Rihanna. He answered it so hard his thumb almost cracked the screen.
     “Hello,”
     “Morning sunshine. I know you’re ready for our morning run.”
     “Do I have too.” Sandjai walked downstairs to the kitchen where his mom was smiling with her newest boyfriend. One he actually liked and had lasted more than a week. His mom had high standards. Bacon, Lettuce, tomato toast… more bacon, cheese… some more bacon and a nice thick slather of butter. Breakfast was served. One bite of the bacony goodness and he was floating on cloud 1,100,047. Just perfect. Now he could deal with the idiot on the phone.
     “You’re eating bacon aren’t you.” Bryan could hear the sound of pure bliss over the phone.
     “Yes,” it sounded more like mmm crunch crunch mumble mumble sigh, but it amounted to a yes.
     “So you’ll be at the park?”
     “We’ve worked out every day this week.”
     “You promised you’d help me get in shape. You’re the one with the sixpack. You’re the one who’s been going to the gym since you came out the womb. And I’ve seen your dad. You don’t need to exercise.”
     “Why you have to be so dramatic?” Sandjai rolled his eyes for effect even though he knew Bryan couldn’t see him.
     “I’m fat, and you promised to unfat me. So you need to get your ass down to the park by 7:30 like you promised me.”
     “You’re not fat. Lenord, he’s fat. You’re husky. And Huskies are cute.”
     “Don’t compare me to dogs. And if you don’t come I’ll tell Maria you said I’m cute.”
     “You wouldn’t dare.”
     “I would. I’ll tell her you’re a closet homo and you made a pass at me and got mad when I turned you down.”
     “God you know she’s a jealous psycho bitch, and she’ll believe you. Besides, we are only dating in her mind. I have an actual real girlfriend. Remember when you told her I was eyeing up Lucy do you really want me to go through that again.”
     “Okay. I’m not that evil. But you promised me. You’ve tortured me for three weeks now. I shouldn’t be the one calling you to come to me.”
     “Alright, Bri.”
     “Ugh. My name is Bryan. Why do you insist on saying Bri like it’s Sabrina.”
     “Lighten up. I’m going to hop in the shower, and I’ll be there.”
     “Do not stop by Susan’s for a quickie. Come straight here.”
     “Why must you suck all the joy out of my life?”
     “If I have to sacrifice orgasms for this run, so must you.”
     “Seriously you jerk off like five thousand times a day. I’m surprised you haven’t rubbed your dick raw.”
     “We can’t all be chiselled south of the border gods with accents that literally melt the panties of women.”
     “Alright. You win. I’m walking in the shower now. See you when I get there.”

     “You’re late.” Bryan gave him his best accusatory glare. Sandjai dutifully ignored it.
     “Just shut up and let’s do this running thing.”
     Bryan was in a white Tee and basketball shorts. He was dressed like a guy conscious about their weight but trying to act like oversized clothes were something he just liked. Chocolate skin, hazel eyes. 5’7.5” he took his half very seriously. Especially since Sandjai was 6’2”. Bryan was an okay looking guy; the problem was that Sandjai was the hottest thing since the first taco. When he was Pudgy, it wasn’t too bad. In fact, pudgy seemed to work to his advantage. However, as Bryan got older cute and pudgy up and left the building. He was very conscious now that he was overweight. It took him two years to finally admit he was uncomfortable with himself and then Sandjai practically forced him into this exercise shit. And now here he was jogging in the park and forcing Sandjai to show up.
     “So how's things at home? Mom still being a—“ Sandjai tried to make small talk to divert Bryan from exercise which he commonly referred to as evil torture from the Gods.
     “God don’t say it. I think she might finally be on her way out the door. Dad’s trying to save things again, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.”
     “Man, that sucks.”
     “Why aren’t you gasping for air yet?”
     “We’ve only been running for seven minutes,” Sandjai said without hiding his amusement. Bryan glared at him as per usual. He was puffing and wheezing, but he hadn’t failed to finish a run yet. How he came out of it alive was always a mystery.
     “Americans are weird.” Random but apparently Sandjai felt it should be said.
     “Your dad is American.”
     “Latin American. And he’s weird too.”
     “Sister is crying every night begging dad to fix mommy. Brother keeps getting into fights in school. And me. Depression. My older brother is the only normal one. And my youngest brother well he’s two. Maybe my mom will be gone long before she can fuck him up.”
     “Maybe. I knew every secret you had, mind you that one I found out by accident. All the stuff you tell me, but your weight, that’s the one thing you hold.” Sandjai chuckled as if to say of all the things to not tell me why that.
     “Come on if you looked like me would you tell someone like you, you had weight issues?”
     “It’s not that bad.” Sandjai sighed halfheartedly.
     “It’s embarrassing running with you. All the girls just eye you up like what is he doing with that fat sweaty loser.”
     “You’re not a loser. Stop fucking saying that.”
     “It’s true.”
     Sandjai decided he didn’t want to travel down this road. It was like talking to a brick wall. When Bryan was self-loathing he was self-loathing, there wasn’t much he could do about it.
     “School is officially over in two months. Any plans?” Maybe a topic change might help Sandjai reasoned.
     “To be as hot as you?” 
     Sandjai laughed. “Real plans.”
     “I dunno take a year off. Dad wants me go straight college, but I don’t know. I need a break. I’ll flip burgers or something for a while. You?”
      “Go live with my dad for a while.”
     “Two male whores under the same roof. That’s bound to be fun.”
     “He’s been married for three years now. He’s a new man.”
     “If you say so. Fuck my calves hurt.”
     “We’re almost done.”
     “Good.”
     “Then to the gym.”
     “I hate you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment