Monday, October 23, 2017

Identity: Chapter 1


Another beautiful day in paradise.
It feels good to be Atorathian.


These were just some of the thoughts going through Cherann’s mind as she walked through the streets of Nera. She was a soldier of good ranking in the Keldonian army and hadn’t been on her home soil in a few months. She was looking forward to the solitude of the main city; maybe going through the garden maze at Leanor’s temple. Just taking in as much of the land in which she was raised as possible.

Travelling had been quite an experience. She didn’t want to get stuck in the trap that the provinces were getting into: believing one was better than the other. In her mind, the best way to avoid the rut was to intentionally put her skills to use in another province and travel with people that weren’t her own. Being based with the Keldonians was something she had grown to love tremendously. They were very in touch with nature. It was no wonder that out of all the bad things said about the provinces, none were said about them. Somehow they never lost the understanding of the War of Beginning.

As she entered a busy pub, she almost recanted her first thoughts. However, there was an empty table in a far corner where she hoped that she could drink in solitude. If she were lucky, no one in the town would recognise her. As she sat down, she was glad that even though people recognised her, they seemed happy to allow her the comforts of quietness in a noisy bar. In fact, she was so lost in her thoughts that she managed to down three mugs of ale before her peace was crudely destroyed.

“Cherann!”


She rolled her eyes and pretended not to hear this person. “Cherann. Don’t stare in the mug like you don’t hear me. You come back after months in the early hours and then slip away before morning break. And you’ve had drink without buying me one.”

“Without buying you one? You’re a working man.”

“But you’re a soldier of high standing. You make much more than a lowly farm assistant.”

“An extra strong drought for the boy,” she said as a server approached the table. “So how are you, Dent?”

“Just glad to see my sister. How was it this time?”

“Great. I love it in Keldon. This is why I live there. Atorath will always be my home, but it calms me there. I feel whole.”

“Why?”

“Have I never told you?”

“No. You’ve been gone most of my life,” Dent replied. “That’s why I’m always excited to talk to you. You know so much more than the people here. And you’re famous. You do so much good for the people of Salinor. There isn’t anyone who doesn’t know your name. And you’re young. So no, this is one thing you haven’t told me amongst many things I’m sure you would if you stayed longer.”

Cherann smiled. Her little brother adored her. And he, for his part, was quite adorable: just a little taller than typical height for an Atorathian and only just having seen his eighteenth name day. And he had a heart of gold. A bit of a theatric, she thought, but she could only hope he’d outgrow the dramatics.

“I see you quite often. There’s no need to overreact.”

“So why do you choose to live there?”

Cherann could see that her defence went right over his head. “Because of the faith they have in the unity of the realm,” she said. “It’s the only place where everyone is treated equally. After all, it was they who were the biggest supporters of Ronilas when she started the Alliance. It was they who held the wealth and knowledge of the plants and herbs of the realm. The oldest histories of Salinor are found there. It’s even believed that all magicians originally came out of the realm, which makes sense since both the magician province and the island of the gods are closest to it. And they are healers. It’s in their nature to love all. And they can feel the earth. This is what makes them able to grow such amazing things—something only the elves can do.

“We may have started the Alliance, but the heart of the realm will always be in Keldon. It stands to reason that that is where Atora made his home after marrying Leanor. It will always be the one province that everyone wants to go to. I only wish all the other provinces didn’t feel so superior to each other.”

“Is it wrong to have pride?” Dent said more to himself than to his sister.

“When it means you believe one human is better than another.”

“Oh.” Dent nodded as if to say “Obviously.” Then he downed some more of his beer.

“So who’s this new woman in your life?”

“Dad told you?”

“Yes. He is ageing and not blessed with long life. He’s desperate to see you marry before he dies.”

“I’m only eighteen.” Cherann laughed at his apparent disgust at marrying so young.

“Still, he is over seventy.”’

“His other sons are married.” Dent thought this was good enough reason not to be rushed.

“You know he has a soft spot for you.”

“I don’t know why.” He stared at his mug as if to magic some more ale into it. Cherann took the hint and ordered another.

“You have potential, that is why. Aren’t you trying to join the Alliance?”

“Yes. I’ve done all the training. I’ve never been in an army, but I wouldn’t be the first to make the Alliance without being a part of another army.”

“So you’re sure about this?”

“I want to be like you.”

“Me?” Cherann asked, faking shock.

“Yes. You inspire me. You have no shame in admitting your own people are lost and no regrets in moving and now I know why. I want to have a clear understanding of what it means to be a child of Salinor. You found your way when you left; why can’t I?”

“Don’t join.”

“Don’t join? But I got asked to. The position was offered; I just have to take the test and—”

Cherann waited for her brother to realise she had something important to say before asking him to walk with her. Then the two left the building before resuming conversation.

“Now is not a good time to join; not under the previous leadership. Why do you think I have not attempted to? There was a time when Alliance members were in hiding everywhere and helping out the poor. If anyone were attacked unjustly, they’d just spring up from their daily tasks and resolve the issue. Look around. Once, any number of us would be Alliance. Now? Just regular citizens. If someone got attacked now, unless everyone here is a good person, chances are it would get ignored.

“Since there are no large wars and no serious threats, the Alliance doesn’t seem to care about the peasants who are usually the first casualties of disputes between the gifted. They don’t care about the wrongly accused. They only get involved in things that make them look good, so people know they are still around. It’s all surface. Like I said, the only people who haven’t lost their way are the Keldonians.”

“Then, what will I do? I don’t want to stay here forever. I need to experience the realm. I want to learn and travel like you.”

“That is why I’m here. I’m going to take you with me. I’ll be your teacher. I will train you and travel the world while doing so. I will teach you all I have learned and allow you time with the scholars and trainers who taught me. How would you like that?”

“You mean live with you and travel? Never-too-long-in-the-same- place-type travel? Sleeping-in-the-mountains-and-passing-out-in-the- desert-type travel?”

“Yes.” Cherann chuckled. “That type of travel.”

“It’s about time you realised my talents.”

“I just want to get you out of here. From someone who’s been there and done that, I can see great things coming out of you.”

The glow on her little brother’s face was priceless. He’d never admit it, but even if she wasn’t his sister, hearing her say that would’ve done it for him. Being his sister was just an added bonus to her being the person that she was.

“I don’t know how I managed to meet this woman,” Dent offered.

“I think what I really mean to say is that I’m not sure how I tricked her into liking me. We are taking it as slow as we can. Firstly, because we don’t want anybody to know. Secondly, she’s much older than me, and she insists that I spread my wings and fly: to take the time to find out if I really want to be with her.”

“Who is she?” Cherann asked. Her brother whispered the answer. And Cherann was shocked. More than shocked, she was impressed.

“I told you: you had potential.”

“Clearly. I won’t be able to see her if I’m travelling with you.”

“Sounds like a good few years to spread your wings and fly.”

“You would find the humour in this.”

“So you haven’t been exercising your right to spread your wings?” Cherann knew that this was true by the look of boyish defiance her brother had on his face. What man his age wouldn’t be enjoying life to the fullest? And an Atorathian? Most definitely enjoying life.

“That isn’t the issue.”

“Then what is?”

“So how long are you going to be here?” Dent tried a diversion.

Cherann suppressed a smile and went along with the change in topic. “I’ll be here for the season.”

“The season? You’re staying till fall?” Her brother clearly couldn’t hide his excitement. Not one bit. This warmed her heart as much as it amused her.

“Yes. I came to get you, and I won’t be doing anything but training you until I see fit that you’re ready to go out on your own.”

“Wait until everyone hears this. My sister—probably the greatest Atorathian defender of the people in centuries—is giving up saving the realm to train me.”

“Is that really how you’re going to word it?” Cherann didn’t know what else to do except laugh at her brother’s comment.

“Why not? Might as well make it sound as good as I can,” Dent said with a smile, then he stopped. “What’s going on over there?”

Cherann followed her brother’s gaze and was angered but not shocked. A little ways ahead of them was a magician torturing an Atorathian peasant, and no one was bothering to stop him. She ran over and pulled the man off; saving what she now knew to be a child. She wondered: What type of man would torture a child— peasant or otherwise.

She readied herself for the fight she knew was coming. The magician was a mad man. He attacked with such rage that she wondered where all that anger was coming from. Still, he proved to be no match for her; in minutes she had him on the ground with a dagger to his throat when something hit her hand. She looked up and saw a tall, muscular man walking toward her. He looked almost identical to the builder she had on the ground. Brothers, maybe, she thought.

“Forgive him. He gets a little out of hand when he’s drunk,” the newcomer said. The man on the ground looked like he was about to speak but his rescuer glared at him. Cherann knew this man wasn’t drunk, but something seemed to be going on here.

“If it would please you, you could stab him somewhere that wouldn’t kill him. That I would have no objections to.”

“Is that so?” Cherann kept pressure with her knee on the man’s chest but decided what the brother had to say just might be worth keeping the moron alive.

“Yes. I can’t deny that what he did was wrong; something he never would’ve done had I been here beside him. But he has his reasons.” So she was right; there was something else fueling this. It wasn’t a simple magician-on-peasant crime.

“If the Alliance were as strong as it used to be, I wouldn’t have had to run over here and save the child,” Cherann stated. “But you seem like someone I can trust. I will believe you. But I guarantee you that if we cross paths again, your words will not save him.”

“That is fair enough. So will you remove your knee from his body?” This man had a very enchanting smile, Cherann thought. Definitely half-Keldonian. The brother might have been as well—if they were indeed brothers—but he didn’t fill out quite as much. He still had the lean musculature of the Mironians. This other man speaking to her was a perfect blend of the two.

“So what is your name and title?” Cherann asked of the newcomer.

“I am Lynton. Lynton Beltor de Zar of Keldon. This is my brother Cortell.”

“I am—”

“I know who you are. I am glad to meet you in person. There should be more like you, and you are right about the Alliance. So now that I’ve got you in a more civilised mood, what would it take to get a mug of ale in your company?”

“I almost kill your brother, and now you try to seduce me?” Cherann gave him a bit of a smirk.

“Well, you are an exceptionally beautiful woman.”

“And suppose I said no?”

“I helped you save a life; that’s got to be worth something.” It was something about the believably fake sincerity in the tone that made her laugh. Helped her save a life? It was more like stop her from taking one.

“See? Laughter is good for the soul. I’ve just done you a good deed. You have to let me buy you a pint or two now.”

“I suppose. Is this the way you do it? You send out your brother to attack innocents so you can lure in women?”

“No. This would be the first time his shortcomings have blessed me so.”

“Will he be joining us?”

“No. I’m sure that if we leave him, he won’t be so stupid in this town again. Your brother can come, though.”

“My brother—?”

“Yes. The one standing over there, apparently mesmerised by your battle skills.”

“Oh, I completely forgot about him.” Cherann glanced towards her brother who indeed looked mesmerised.

“I have that effect on people.”

“Serving Justice has that effect on me.”

“You say it your way, I say it mine.”

“Ah, I see you are practised with words. You must save his life often.”

“Not entirely. Lots of people have been determined to kill him, but none have ever actually been right at that point. I had to think fast to stop you.”

“You watched?”

“Naturally. He does have to be punished for what he did, and you’ve done the best so far.”

“I already said yes. You don’t have to overdo the flattery.”

“It’s not flattery if it’s truth.”

“It better be worth it when you bed me after all this talk.”

“You’re the Atorathian. I’m planning on learning something from you.”

“Ah, so you plan to use me.”

“And you me. It’s a mutual exchange.”

“Let’s just get lunch before you make me laugh to death.”

Chapter 2

No comments:

Post a Comment