Friday, October 27, 2017

Dana Chapter 6

The morning sun was shining through the bedroom as Dana and Adrian woke up. It was about two thirty.

“Morning Lil’ man,” Dana said with a kiss.

“So. Italian mob. It’s not just the stuff of movies.”

“It’s my life. Was my life. But something happened and I decided I didn’t want to be anywhere near home anymore.”

“Fair enough. I haven’t been back home either. I can understand that.”

“It would seem that shooting two people is grounds for a visit. My cousin told his dad, who called me to tell me I should call my dad before he does and that was why I told you who I am. Seems I have no control over the situation.”

The two of them got a shower and while trying to get dressed heard a knock at the door.

“We know you’re in there. It’s Sunday, and we want our friend back,” Rene shouted.

“You can’t hold him hostage forever. Enough sex for one day,” added Raul.

“Don’t make us break down the door.” Marco was banging with force. Adrian just rolled his eyes. These guys were obviously more nuts than he thought they were. He went to open the door.

“Well, it’s about time,” Rene said as the other two pushed into the apartment. Marco had to pee something awful, or so he thought.

“The rescue team is here.”

“Oh shut up, Raul. “ Adrian said.

“So when were you going to tell us, who you were Goldie?”

“How many times I gotta tell you I’m not a fish, Raul? Wait how do you even know.” Dana looked at Adrian who had guilty written all over his face.

“I may have snuck in a text after you got off the phone with you told me while you were talking to your dad.” Dana just shook his head.

“Just answer the question.” Raul insisted.

“Who cares? I’m hungry. Let’s go eat,” Marco said as he went straight from the bathroom out of the house, not even looking back to see if they were following him.

Since they started lunch so late, the sun was down by the time they were done, so they went for an early night swim. The water was a little cool, but in comparison to other places in October, they were in hot water. After the swim, as they lay on their towels looking up at the night sky, a group of guys came by and the mood got quiet. Dana would’ve asked what was going on, but if it was what he was assuming, he wasn’t about to head down that road again—not after the bathtub shut down. Once the three men were out of range things got back to normal.

“Come walk with me, Raul,” Rene said.

“Oh, you’re stealing me away. This has got to be something interesting.”

“Oh, just shut up and get up.” The two of them started walking, and when they were a good distance away from the rest, Rene started talking.

“I got to ask you something.”

“And that would be—?”

“Well, it turns out that one of my friends likes you, but he’s a little too shy to just ask you.”

“And who would he be?”

“Marco.”

“Marco?” Raul responded with a laugh.

“Nah, seriously. Last night he told me. I asked if he liked anyone, and he said he liked me.”

“Now that does sound like Marco.”

“So what do you say?”

“Oh, come off it. You know what I’m going to say. You know I like the guy. I just thought he was straight.”

“Yeah, I know. Maybe he can slow you down a notch.”

“I don’t know what you mean. If anything, I’m going to corrupt his virgin ass.”

“I didn’t say all that.”

“I’m not stupid. We can’t prove that he’s ever had sex with a girl, but we definitely know for sure that he’s never been with a guy. And it just makes sense why he’d resist all our hookup attempts.”

“Okay. I’ll give you that one. Well, we should go back. I’m sure by now he’s told those two what we are over here talking about.”

“So should I just grab him?”

“Or you could just follow him into the ocean. Looks like we took too long. That’s where they’re heading.” So back into the ocean they went, splashing each other, pretending to drown each other and so on. Raul was trying to escape the sea when he was tackled at the shoreline by Marco. They rolled around on the edge of the water until Marco finally had Raul pinned.

“Looks like I got you.”

“You’re bigger than me. It was an unfair advantage.” Marco just ignored the statement and kissed him.

“So was that the first time you kissed a man?” Marco just smiled sheepishly. “Well, well, I’m impressed. So what does a guy have to do to get more of those?”

“Stop doing married man.”

“What about other men?”

“What?”

“Seriously. You can’t expect me to be your only experience. You just went twenty-four this year, and next year you graduate. You can’t waste your last year in a serious relationship. You must spread your wings, go forth and share the wealth. Experience life.”

“In other words, you’re planning on making sure I’m well experienced like you.”

“Yup.”

“Okay—deal.”

“You know you feel awfully good on top of me. Well, one part of you anyway.” Marco just kissed him again got up and ran over towards the others. The brief run distracted him enough for his shit to go down. Shortly afterwards, Raul finally made his way to them, and they stared up at the stars until—well, until they were just too bored to keep doing it. So on their separate ways they went, to do whatever it was that they felt like doing for the night.

***

“D. S.?” Dana and Adrian were in bed watching the Heroes first season DVD, the episode where Peter goes back in time to see his mom on the rooftop talking to Nicole’s dad.

“Yeah, Lil’ man”

“What’s like our safety zone here? I’ve never been serious with someone not out before, so this is all new to me.”

“Nothing really. Just treat me the way you treat your friends. That’s usually all it takes. Besides, if I think you do anything that’s a little obvious, I’ll let you know. Besides we do enough stuff together. I’m sure were slowly creeping in to out couple status. Why rush it.”

“Okay. You know it be easier of you were out, out. Then I wouldn’t have to worry about the way it sounds when I say ‘D. S’.”

“I guess, but—”

“I know, D. S,” Adrian said as he got into the bed.

“You ain't mad, are you?”

“No, just a tiny bit disappointed, but I like you so I just have to deal with it. I can’t force you out the closet, but seriously, you’re a big guy. I bet you’re taking up an awful lot of room in that closet. Can I at least get a foot? Hell, why not a whole leg? It’s just a leg—the rest of you will still be in there.”

Dana couldn’t help but chuckle at that, mostly because of the southern accent. “Goodnight, Lil’ man,” Dana said before kissing him, and that’s when his phone rang. Dana grunted and started to get out of bed.

“What is it.?”

“I just gotta go do something.”

“You never seem too excited about doing these things. Do you have to do it?”

“Unfortunately.”

“Well, I hope whatever it is gets better for you.”

“So do I.”

***

Marco was getting a shower, having not been in the house since they left the beach hours before. Raul just happened to be coming by, and the door was open, so why not? Marco was facing the spray, leaning forward with his eyes closed, so it was no challenge for Raul to slip in. Marco nearly jumped out of his skin when he felt Raul wrap his arms around him.

“Fuck. You scared me.”

“That was the plan.

“Hmm, nice,” Raul said as he looked down. He wasted no time switching positions so that he was now facing the stream. He pressed his hands against the wall. His actions demanded that Marco take him immediately. And as Marco stood there watching the water trickle down his back he had no other choice but to obey the order. He wasn’t hesitant, or “Should I lose my virginity now?” or anything like that. He just dove into the new world of sexual revelation, with a little guidance from Raul of course.

“Damn I’m sorry.” After five minutes of hardcore, steamy shower fun, the event was over. Marco was somewhat embarrassed, but it was his first time, after all. Raul did what he had always done: made humour out of it. Humour worked very well on Marco, so they laughed together before cleaning off and then finally headed in for some sleep.

***

“What?” It was eleven at night and Dana was rushing out a house belonging to one of his many secret excursions, after receiving a phone call from Marco. He ran a nurse over when he got to the hospital but luckily there was another nurse to catch him and one to stop him from causing any more damage. He was ranting like a mad man and had to be induced into a calm state. Marco hit him; he was the only one with the guts to do so. It was a good hit, too. Dana’s face was instantly red. Now that he was calm, the nurse explained the situation.

“So can I see him?” he asked the doctor as he arrived.

“Are you another roommate?”

“Sort of.”

The doctor didn’t probe for details. “I see. Do you know about his regular checkups?” By now he was walking with the doctor away from the others.

“No.”

“No? He missed one just this month.” The doctor explained everything to him, about the surgery and why it was essential that he came in for checkups. They had tried new techniques on his heart and lungs. There were no regularly practiced procedures that could keep him alive. They had no choice but to try the surgery. Otherwise Adrian would’ve surely died. It was only about two years since the attack, and this was his first major incident, though he had had quite a few minor ones. He’d never just stopped breathing and needed to be brought back to life.

Adrian had missed all his appointments since he hooked up with Dana. For the past months he’d been completely unchecked, so the doctors had a long gap in the study of this uncharted, partially ilegal, medical territory.

Adrian was in a light snore as Dana walked into the hospital room. Dana gave a quick look to be sure he was alone before kissing him on the forehead. He took a seat beside him and talked to him in his sleep until Adrian finally awoke.

“I told them not to tell you,” Adrian said softly.

“You know better. This is partly your fault. Missing appointments. But they have my info so it won’t be happening anymore.”

“You can’t just force me to—”

“I can and I will. You can’t just keep waiting until you collapse before you come in.”

“Is Marco out there?”

“Why you ask?”

“Because I know that he’s the one who called you.”

“Whatever. You just relax. I talked to your sister. She threatened to come down here and beat some sense into you. I told her I’d do it this weekend. Last week in October and all. You’re going twenty-four. And my uncle practically ordered us to come and see my dad. Who knows? I might even put one of my legs out the closet.”

“God. You’re never gonna let me forget that, are you?”

“Nope. What was it? ‘You’re a big guy so what’s one foot? Barely nothing compared to the rest of you’,” Dana said not so accurately recounting Adrian’s words.

“Yeah, I get it. But you don’t have to remind me how stupid I am.”

“That’s my job. I am your boyfriend, after all.”

“Whatever. I don’t want to stay in here.”

“But the doctor said—“

“Dana, I don’t like hospitals. Please, just talk to him. For me?”

“Oh, all right. But you’re still staying in tomorrow at my place, even if he lets you leave. And that’s final.”

***

“Come on, Lil’ man.”

“It’s only seven. I’m trying to sleep.” It was Thursday and of all the things to be doing on his twenty-fourth birthday, flying hours from the sun to the snow wasn’t one of them. However, the prospect of seeing snow for the first time ever was getting him a little anxious. Dana, however, was overanxious. He’d only really dated once before and never really fell in love with the guy. So this whole parent thing was a seriously big step for him. I think he was just overwhelmed with feeling all these new emotions that came along with caring enough to introduce him to his parents. Hell, his mom only got to meet Adrian by force; this was of his own free will. Okay, maybe his uncle did force him to come out there and introduce him, but who’s into details?

“Why aren’t we going through the airport?”

“You’ll see, Lil’ man.”

Turns out they were flying by private jet. This was an experience: wine, hors d’oeuvres, servers, game consoles, widescreen TV. Adrian just couldn’t keep still. He had to take in everything. The highlight was the minutes he got to spend up front in the cockpit. After he finally had his fill, he made it back to Dana.

“Slow down. You act like you never been on a plane before.”

“Not everyone can afford to fly, you know,” Adrian retorted with a little too much fire.

“Oh, I didn’t mean—”

“Sorry. It’s just that—well, you can’t help it.”

“Huh?”

“Well, how could you understand what it’s like to have nothing? Granted, I wasn’t the poorest, but I still had to drive out here with my dad first day. Things did get better as we got older and got our own jobs. Mom has gone into health and skincare. Dad owns his own garage now. But we had to work hard to make them that way. You? What have you ever had to try for?”

“I’m sorry. I just—”

“Don’t get all apologetic. It’s only an observation. Hell, we all pooled together to get the house. You’re just made of money.”

“What can I say? Crime pays. Guess there must be a lot of things you haven’t done.”

“Only if they cost money,” Adrian said with a chuckle.

“No worries there. That’s what I’m here for.”

“I don’t want your money.”

“The more you say no, the more I give.”

“And if I say yes?”

“I still give.”

“Guess it’s a lost cause.”

“Yup. From now on you can stress over other things.”

It had been a few more hours, and Adrian was being nudged back into life. He was in a limo, pulling up to the type of mansion he could only dream about. As he got out the car, he did what came naturally.

“What are you doing?” Dana asked him.

“Getting my bags.”

“Just come in the house.” Once inside, they were trapped in an immediate parental spider’s web. Dana having never brought anyone home with him before, his parents were on them like white on rice, with hugs and conversation. They had a late dinner prepared and ready. It was just after midnight when Adrian and Dana finally walked into the bedroom. Adrian was on the bed and asleep in seconds. Dana left him there and went to his mom’s office. She was clearing up what she would have cleared up already, had she not spent the whole day preparing to see her son.

“So you going to just stand there or help?”

“Help. Adrian’s not well.”

“Really? I thought the money and the surgery and everything went well.”

“Not really. Now that I’m dating him I’ve accidentally stumbled upon the full details,” and he told her.

“Wow. Sounds serious. I actually know his sister.”

“Really?”

“Yes, seeing as I promised not to get actively involved in your private life, I sponsor a lot of functions. If I can’t march in the parade the least, I can do is help make sure there is one. She helps organise a few conferences away from her immediate area, so I’d seen her name pop up, and more importantly, she’s a criminal defence attorney, and she defended one of your uncles a few years back. So after I met you, I just gave her a call. She’s quite an amazing woman. She actually remembered me, though we’ve only worked on the same project twice.”

“Next you’re gonna tell me you actually did go from behind the scenes to on the scenes,”

“Well—”

“Mom—”

“I’m sorry. I have a gay son, so how could I not get involved? And she agrees.”

“God, you pro-active moms can be pushy.”

“But you love me just the same.”

“You must’ve poisoned me at birth.”

“Hey, just because you turned into a fucking tree doesn’t mean you’re too big to be put over my knee.”

“They call that abuse these days.”

“Details,” she said, and the two smiled together.

“So what’s up with the guys you almost killed?” she asked as she handed him a glass of wine. They worked better with wine.

“Oh, they rape and torture guys. I should’ve just got rid of them. No one would miss them.”

“Sometimes you’re just like your father. They were someone’s children too, you know. Murder is not the answer to everything.”

“Morals. Where did dad find you,” he asked, chuckling.

“Someone has to have a conscience in this family.”

“What you mean is a stern hand and an iron fist that you can pound on us at will.”

“Like I said,”

“I know. Details.” They tucked away the last file and headed out to the sitting room.

“I like what he’s done to you. Love looks good on you.”

“Whatever, Mom. I’ve never been in love before, and this is like his third round. If I mess up, I’ll probably be the one that swears him of all men.”

“Who are you and where is my son?”

“Mom, I’m trying to be serious,” Dana said with a smile.

“I know. I’m impressed that someone has finally got your emotions in a bind.”

“Whatever, Mom.”

“So you still having nightmares?”

“Not so much around him. But sometimes. He understands and doesn’t pressure me to tell him about my past.”

“Sounds like he really is good for you, if the nightmares are finally slowing up.”

“Yeah.”

“So you’re still doing what you do on the side, and he’s cool with that too?”

“Yeah. I think he just knows I don’t want to be in this situation. That reminds me. I got a call when he was in the hospital, from the guy I ran out on.”

***

“And where are you headed to?” Adrian was roaming through the mansion and had just strayed by the kitchen where Mr. Saparo was making a sandwich.

“Looking for Dana. Big house. Guess I’m just not comfortable in the room by myself.”

“He’s farther down, talking to Betty. Come sit at the counter, have half a sandwich.” Adrian did as told and sat at the counter. “You’re not what I expected.”

“How so?”

“You’re not really his type.”

“Really? And what is his type?” Adrian’s interest was piqued.

“He doesn’t usually go for the manly guys.”

“Really? He said there just weren’t many around here.”

“My son said that? Well, he grew up here, so that’s at least one. I suspect he said that to cover up his real reasons. He likes the feminine types. You’re kinda short.”

“I prefer ‘vertically challenged’.”

“And a smart ass.”

“I try.”

“Why you smiling?”

“You just remind me so much of him.”

“Well, he is my son.”

“Looks like I’m not the only smart ass.

“Hope you got some heavy clothes. It gets cold out here.”

“Dana picked me up some after we landed. D. S., you coming up?” Dana had just walked into the kitchen.

“I am in a few seconds.” Adrian looked unimpressed.

“Don’t look so sad,” Dana said before giving him a kiss. He may not be touchy, but he surely wasn’t shy on the kisses. And he was a damn good kisser at that. “I’ll be right up.”

“Okay.” As Adrian left Dana’s mom came into the kitchen.

“So you thought about what I said?”

“I’m still thinking. Goodnight, Ma. ‘Night, Dad.” He double-cheek kissed them both, then went up to Adrian. Adrian fell asleep quickly, and Dana thought about his conversation with his mom until he, too, drifted into dreamland.

***

It was the next day. Dana took Adrian on a tour of his home city and introduced him to the select few friends he trusted. Later that night the got suited up for a classy dinner. Five-star dining at to Uncle Tony’s restaurant.

“Mr. Saparo. And who is this nice young man with you today?”

“Adrian.”

“Such a nice name.”

“Is my uncle here?”

“Yes, is he expecting you?”

“Yes, but we’ll take our own table.” As Dana walked in, he felt as if all eyes were on him. He’d been in here alone with a guy many a time before so no one would suspect anything was up. However, this would be the first time he’d ever actually been on a one-on-one date. He was, to say the least, starting to have a bit of an anxiety attack.

“You okay, D. S?”

“What?”

“Well, you just started sweating all of a sudden, and it’s not that hot in here. Hell, it’s not that hot outside either.”

“I’m just nervous.”

“Why?”

“No reason.”

“You can trust me. I promise not to laugh. Unless it’s funny of course.” Dana cracked a smile. “See, you’re feeling better already.”

“I guess. I’ve never been on a date before.”

“Come again?”

“Never. Someone’s always tagged along. And if I was alone with a guy it was it was never serious. Just sex. I’ve never liked anyone enough to come out of my comfort zone.”

“Wow.”

“Yeah. Guess I’m just afraid people might find out. But I know I want to be here with you, so I’m just confused—overthinking I guess.”

“A dinner date doesn’t mean you have to come flying out the closet. Mind you, if you change your mind, I’ll be here holding the door open.”

Dana just shook his head. Leave it to Adrian to find humour in his distress. “Let’s just order some wine.” The two of them had an amazing night and stayed until closing. They walked under the stars in the cold—freezing to Adrian but merely cold to Dana. It was magical. Adrian lifted his hand to point at something when he saw and felt a new sensation, one he had been dying to see.

“Oh my god. It’s snow. It’s snowing.”

“We don’t have to wait till January for our snow.”

“Wow. I’ve always wanted to see snow.”

“And now you have. Come on. Let’s go home before you freeze.”

***

Dana was sitting in the library, staring out the ceiling-high windows at the falling snow. It was a mild snow storm. No matter, they weren’t scheduled to be back home til Sunday anyway.

“What you doing up still?”

“It’s only after midnight, Dad.”

“True. So you really love the kid?”

“Yeah. More than anything.”

“Good. So why you staring out blankly into space?”

“Well. It’s just this situation I’ve got myself in.”

“Oh that. You really should just tell him what’s going on.”

“No. I don’t want to worry him. But I do have a slight problem.”

“Are you asking me for help?”

“Don’t get all weird about it.”

“Why don’t you just ask your uncle? His son lives there. You didn’t have a problem using him for those guys in the alley.”

“I know. But it’s not the same. I want my dad to do it.”

“You do know how this is going to turn out, right?”

“Yes. But I just need to get rid of this one problem. He’s just getting out of hand. And he made some serious threats when I left to see Adrian at the hospital. I just can’t deal with that when I got so much other shit to deal with.”

“Okay. I wasn’t expecting him to be so—well, manly.”

“God, you didn’t tell him, did you?”

“I did.”

“Great.”

“How was I supposed to know you didn’t want him to know? You never mentioned him, and your mom wouldn’t tell. Why don’t you ever talk to me?”

“Dad—”

“Why?”

“It’s hard. You were a little messed up, got all crazy and speaking in Italian and shit.”

“I don’t remember that. I’m very open-minded.”

“You don’t remember chasing me around with a kitchen knife, then pulling out your gun and taking shots at me across the pool? One of those shots could’ve killed me,” Dana said with an accusing smile.

“Nope, don’t remember any of that. Must’ve been your mom.”

Dana could only shake his head. “Well, it only took you a year to come around, longer than anyone else in the family.”

“All right, but that was over ten years ago. Why don’t you talk to me now? Your love life should be father-son stuff. We’re men, so leave the mom out of it.” Dana had to smile. He did want to talk to his father about his personal life but wasn’t sure how to approach it.

“Okay, besides I don’t tell her anything. She’s just pushy.”

“Your mom—pushy?”

“Don’t play dumb. You know how she is. But I promise from now on I’ll try to beat her to the punch and tell you before she figures anything out.”

“Yeah. Guess I just miss the son I might have had if I didn’t try to kill you.”

“Oh, you remember now.”

“D.S.” Adrian was awake again. He still couldn’t sleep too long in a strange house.

“Hey. I was just about to come up.”

“Why don’t I believe you?”

“You’re kinda needy for a small guy.”

“I’m 5’8.” Adrian had bumped himself up a notch since he started dating Dana but he was still 5’ 7ish.

“And that is supposed to change something?”

“Whatever. Besides, I was hoping we could—”

“And that would be my cue to leave,” Mr. Saparo said before leaving the two of them to do what came naturally.

***

“Shit. We just had sex in the study,” Adrian said as the morning rays came into the room.

“Yeah. What’s your point? Just get dressed so I can feed you breakfast. It’s our last day here and I’m going to make you some breakfast.”

“You cook?”

“Yeah. I’m a trained chef. I work at a restaurant. Remember? And I’m Italian.”

“Oh right. I thought you were just a sandwich guy,” Adrian said, knowing that Liza had trained him as a chef. Dana knew he was faking having fed him numerous times before.

“Okay, that’s it—no breakfast for you.”

“What? I say something wrong?” Adrian asked, barely hiding his laugh.

“Just let’s go before I change my mind, Lil’ man.”

“Why did Sunday have to come so fast?” They had come back on a regular coach flight. Dana figured if he’d never been on a plane before that he should experience all the possibilities of flight accessible to average people. Adrian was equally fascinated by regular flying as the private jet. That made Dana quite happy. But here they were now, heading back to the apartment. With sun and beach in clear view, they had that moment when the real world suddenly hits: back to school, and the countdown to finals. Oh, joy.

“I liked your parents and your family and everyone.”

“Well, they loved you too. I think it’s that southern charm. You just open your mouth, and people melt.”

“I can’t help that. It’s natural. So how about we unpack later and just head straight to bed?”

“And sleep.”

“Sleep?”

“You’ve got one insane sexual appetite.”

“Yeah, but I know what I want.”

“But what about me? I’m tired.”

“Fine, I’ll just go fuck someone else.”

“We are in an open relationship. If he’s hot enough, bring him back.”

“I’m going to fuck a girl,” Dana grimaced.

“God, I love that,” Adrian said before giving him a kiss. “Don’t wait up for me.”

“You’re serious?”

“Yeah.”

“Stay. We just spent hours in the air. I want to sleep with you next to me.”

“And you talk about my accent melting people.”

“So that’s a yes.”

“You knew I wouldn’t just walk out on you.”

“You mean I know you’re the type of guy that would. I wasn’t taking any chances.”

“See now? That just hurt my feelings.” Dana wasn’t moved by the mock offense.

“Just hop in bed, Lil’ man.”

“Okay,” Adrian said, and into bed he got. He grabbed Dana’s arm and wrapped it around him. “Now I can sleep.” Dana smiled and kissed him on the back of his shoulder, and watched until Adrian fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment