Thursday, October 26, 2017

Broken Chapter 5


“Sandjai will you wake up and answer your phone!”

“It’s the weekend Ma!”

“Don’t make me come in there!”

Being fourteen was hard work. He checked the miss calls. Why was his dad calling him this much before lunchtime? What part of the world was he in? It could be a time difference thing. He called back.”

“Why won’t you answer your phone?”

“Because sleep is far more important.”

“I didn’t waste away sleeping when I was your age. I—“

“I know how to work Wikipedia dad. I know what you were doing at fourteen. And who. And what drugs you were on.”

“Fucking internet. Have you made it to the kitchen yet? Is your mom making those delicious vanilla cinnamon strawberry pancakes.”

“Yes. And yes. So what are you calling me for?”

Sandjai was in shock after his dad told him. Like he was keeping a low father-son profile for a whole year and now this.

“Don’t you care about the press?”

“Since when did you form good albeit accented sentences?”

“Bryan’s been helping me. He loves words so why not help me with mine. And I force Jess to talk with me all the time. Mind you I think she’s just pretending not to enjoy it.”

“Fuck the press. You’re here. No sense in evading the inevitable.”

“Okay. But you know I don’t like suits.”

“I won’t force you to wear a tie. The suit, however, is non-negotiable. Bring that cute pudgy friend of yours. Bryan.”

“Bryan?”

“Yeah. He’s cute. The press will love him.”

“Try telling him that. Okay. So I’ll see you when I see you.”

“Yup. And get me his measurements so my designer can get on that.”

“Okay.”

***

Lucas’s phone was ringing off the hook. He would’ve ignored it, but it was Jessica. What could be so important that he had to pause his game to talk to her? His friends weren’t happy, but this girl was persistent.

“This better be good Jess.”

“You have to watch the red carpet. I know you don’t watch these things but seriously. You have to watch it now. Like now before you miss it.”

“Fine alright. Shut the fuck up you guys the game will still be there, holy shit. No way.”

“This is what I’m talking about. Guess whose dad is like the super hunkiest actor in all of acterdom.” Suddenly the game took second seat. There on the screen was Greydan Tennant. Beefy biracial Puerto Rican hunk supreme. With Sandjai and Bryan. And his R&B hip-hop hottie wife Shandra. How could Sandjai have kept this from them for so long?

“Isn’t he up for like seven awards? Including director awards and screenplay awards.”

“How the fuck do you know that. I thought you weren’t into this stuff.”

“Come on Jess. I’m not a total idiot. And have you seen the women he dates? Shandra is just fucking beautiful.”

“I knew it was too good to be true.”

“Bitch stop judging me for being a man.” 

“Stop calling women bitches!” His mother yelled from in the kitchen.

“It’s Jess Ma!” Jessica just laughed her ass off.

“I will throw judgement where it is deserved.”

“I wonder why he took those two instead of his own children. You know the ones he claims.”

“Beats me. I bet Bryan knew. How could he not inform us that our new best friend had two celebrity parents.”

“Maybe because he forced him not to. And seriously would either of us stop badgering him about it. We have both seen all his movies like five million times. Especially Death Is Not The End.”

“Shit that even made me cry. Totally worth all the awards it won.”

“Well, now we know what all the fuss is about.”

“Pudgy looks so lost, though. Like he doesn’t belong there.”

“Because he doesn’t we do. Get off the phone Lucas. I have an important call to make.”

***

“Hello. Shit, I’m not supposed to be answering my phone.”

“To late now bitch. What the fuck are you doing on the red carpet.” Jess meant business.

“I don’t have time for this Jess. I can’t argue with the paparazzi listening.”

“We are his biggest fans. Me and Lucas should be there.”

“Shit Jess. His dad invited me. What did you expect me to do? Turn it down for the sake of friendship.”

“Yes. Yes. Yes.”

“Fuck. That idiot is calling me on the other line.”

“Probably to tell you what a horrible friend you are also.”

“Why aren’t you calling Jai. He’s the one with the power.”

“He isn’t stupid enough to be seen on the red carpet on his phone. But you are. And when the press finds out it was me that made you make the red carpet faux pas I’m going to milk my five seconds of fame for all it’s worth.”

“Goodbye, Jess.”

“Get us both an autograph.” She said as quickly as she could before he hung up. Bryan just laughed. This was just too unreal. Besides he’d swiped something of both her and Lucas before he left, for Sandjai’s dad to sign. They didn’t give him enough credit at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment